Vintage Anime Convention Camcorder Footage

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Vintage Anime Convention Camcorder Footage

Post by Daniel »

Hey guys,

Just wanted to announce that I've started uploading old anime con videos to YouTube!

Here's the list so far. I'll add more as I upload them.

AnimeCon '91 AMV & Video Schedule
AnimeCon '91 Watching Dirty Pair Does Dishes
AnimeCon '91 Cosplay
AnimeCon '91 Bad Guys Cosplay
AnimeCon '91 Dirty Pair Cosplay
AnimeCon '91 Dubbing VS Subbing

Project A-Kon 3 (1992)

At some point in the future, I hope to make our channel the go-to place for old convention footage. If anyone here has any tapes, let me know! I'd be open to trade and/or help with the digitization.

Enjoy!
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Vintage Anime Convention Camcorder Footage

Post by DKop »

Do you plan on putting out the full length of these videos out on youtube, or do you have a link on where to find them on Youtube?
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

For the time being I'd like to try the little bit of everything approach and see how that goes. In general I don't love YouTube all that much; I'd rather work on a more person-to-person basis than the platform allows -- too much "old school" in me, I suppose. One of the ideas I have for the future of this site is to do something of an online anime club get-together, where we can all watch a video together and chat at the same time. Something like the convention videos might be a good pick for that.

There is already convention footage on YouTube from other people. We could make this thread into a master list of sorts with links to all the videos floating around the Internet. That might be useful/fun.
DKop

Post by DKop »

I am down for an online get together, especially if there is a good hosting site for streaming anime on a private channel we can access and talk online while that is happening. Also, and maybe this sounds crazy, maybe find away to do a forum convention "online" somehow. Seems like that requires a lot of thinking and planning to make that happen, but nothing is impossible.

A master list would be great to use, so its archived footage for others to see and would require less research and time to look for something in particular.
scriptweaver
Anime Fan Since: 2000

Post by scriptweaver »

In response to Dkop: If you guys are needing a online streaming site for a group get together and streaming anime, I can probably help point you all in the right direction. I actually go and host an anime stream for others to watch and comment on about every week or so. The anime's I typically do are 80s and 90s, but I've also done newer stuff on request often enough as well.
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Daniel wrote:One of the ideas I have for the future of this site is to do something of an online anime club get-together, where we can all watch a video together and chat at the same time. Something like the convention videos might be a good pick for that.
This sounds like a great idea! There seem to be a lot of options for doing something like this now, so I'm sure we'll be able to find something that works nicely.
DKop

Post by DKop »

scriptweaver wrote:In response to Dkop: If you guys are needing a online streaming site for a group get together and streaming anime, I can probably help point you all in the right direction. I actually go and host an anime stream for others to watch and comment on about every week or so. The anime's I typically do are 80s and 90s, but I've also done newer stuff on request often enough as well.
See, Justin.tv was a great hosting site I used until it got bought by Twitch.tv. Twitch is a site that kinda cracks down on anime and movie streaming, and there isnt a way to make it private either, so thats kinda a set back for me to use for streaming anime sometimes.
scriptweaver
Anime Fan Since: 2000

Post by scriptweaver »

Well, I'll be glad to help. There's a newish streaming site I personally use called StreamUp and they have a chat bar on the side just like twitch. its pretty user friendly too (In my opinion). I've used this site for all sorts of anime streaming. I've been using it for almost a yr now, so I must assume the owners don't really care whats being streamed. If you need any help connecting it with your OBS, just ask. If you want me to do an example stream or something, I can do that too.

www.streamup.com <--- here's the site
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

Hey! Now I like to do an online live chat. I am on medical leave from work and any time would suit me just fine, except Sunday morning. There is a lot I would like to talk about.
***^__^***
DKop

Post by DKop »

So far the program I would prefer for just online chatting is Slack. A handful of people and I who have been using AIM for the past decade at this point switched over to Slack after Christmas, so far everyone really likes it. Speaking of AIM, I heard on March 15th their group chat services will be shutting down, and I think my crew are gonna go on there and use it for one last time.