Retro Computing

Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here!
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: Retro Computing

Post by Drew_Sutton »

^ That would be really cool! I remember reading something (I think on Slashdot) about someone who was able to get their Commadore64 online too.

I wonder if there are Amiga emulators? It was a discussion that my friend and I were having when preparing a panel for Anime Weekend Atlanta this year. We were talking a bit about JACOSub and if we could emulate it properly, making some "old school" fansubs as further examples for our discussion topics. I'd be looking towards emulation because I don't need another piece of computer hardware taking up space around here :lol:
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Drew_Sutton wrote:I wonder if there are Amiga emulators? It was a discussion that my friend and I were having when preparing a panel for Anime Weekend Atlanta this year. We were talking a bit about JACOSub and if we could emulate it properly, making some "old school" fansubs as further examples for our discussion topics. I'd be looking towards emulation because I don't need another piece of computer hardware taking up space around here :lol:
There are some pretty nice Amiga emulators out there; Amiga Forever and WinUAE are popular choices. Amiga Forever does cost money, but also includes licensed versions of the Amiga Kickstart ROMs and is a bit easier to set up. However, I'm not sure that the emulation software emulates genlock hardware, which I believe you would need to properly create fansubs.

I could be wrong, but I think the simplest way to make this happen would be to use a real Amiga with genlock hardware. On the plus side, they don't take up too much space and you can play some great games! ;)
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Game Sack on YouTube did a review of the Amiga CD32 recently. It was interesting to see a 32 bit CD console that was a European gaming machine, as opposed to a mostly Japanse gaming console.

Upgrading an old Amiga computer like that... That is pretty amazing!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Kame-Sen'nin wrote:
Drew_Sutton wrote:I wonder if there are Amiga emulators? It was a discussion that my friend and I were having when preparing a panel for Anime Weekend Atlanta this year. We were talking a bit about JACOSub and if we could emulate it properly, making some "old school" fansubs as further examples for our discussion topics. I'd be looking towards emulation because I don't need another piece of computer hardware taking up space around here :lol:
There are some pretty nice Amiga emulators out there; Amiga Forever and WinUAE are popular choices. Amiga Forever does cost money, but also includes licensed versions of the Amiga Kickstart ROMs and is a bit easier to set up. However, I'm not sure that the emulation software emulates genlock hardware, which I believe you would need to properly create fansubs.

I could be wrong, but I think the simplest way to make this happen would be to use a real Amiga with genlock hardware. On the plus side, they don't take up too much space and you can play some great games! ;)
Yeah - may not emulate the genlock itself, but if we could get the VM to "talk" to the genlock equipment connected to a bare-metal host ... the more I talk about this, the more I agree, it would be easier to just break down and get the hardware (genlock and Amiga) and set it up in the corner somewhere. :lol:
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

greg wrote:Game Sack on YouTube did a review of the Amiga CD32 recently. It was interesting to see a 32 bit CD console that was a European gaming machine, as opposed to a mostly Japanse gaming console.

Upgrading an old Amiga computer like that... That is pretty amazing!
The CD32 does have a somewhat unique library when compared to other systems of the time, due to most of its games being enhanced ports of existing Amiga games. It's definitely a fun little system, but many of the games will not work on an NTSC television without outside hardware to convert the PAL signal, which can be troublesome.

As for upgrading the old Amiga models, it is a really fun and addicting hobby. :lol: Getting the hardware to do things it wasn't really intended to do is almost as much fun as the games themselves!
Drew_Sutton wrote:Yeah - may not emulate the genlock itself, but if we could get the VM to "talk" to the genlock equipment connected to a bare-metal host ... the more I talk about this, the more I agree, it would be easier to just break down and get the hardware (genlock and Amiga) and set it up in the corner somewhere. :lol:
Sometimes the simplest solution is the easiest! :lol: If I run across any extra Amigas or Genlocks in my searches, I'll be sure to keep you in mind!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Originally written by Drew_Sutton on 2015/10/29, 13:06:41 PDT :

Re: Retro Computing :

Came across this link today Screenshots From Developers UNIX People, 2002.

https://anders.unix.se/2015/10/28/scree ... ople-2002/

While 2002 isn't quite as retro as some of the other things discussed in this thread, it definitely kicked me in my nostalgia. Neat looking at some of the older Linux desktops and that Windows NT4 was quite the throwback for me. And imagine my surprise at that Tenchi Muyo! background!

Originally written by Kame-Sen'nin on 2015/11/07, 22:41:14 PST :

Re: Retro Computing :

quote Drew Sutton Came across this link today Screenshots From Developers UNIX People, 2002.

https://anders.unix.se/2015/10/28/scree ... ople-2002/

While 2002 isn't quite as retro as some of the other things discussed in this thread, it definitely kicked me in my nostalgia. Neat looking at some of the older Linux desktops and that Windows NT4 was quite the throwback for me. And imagine my surprise at that Tenchi Muyo! background! quote
Very cool stuff--gotta love that Tenchi wallpaper!
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

I thought everyone here might enjoy this MST3K clip where Crow and Tom Servo have their own Mac vs. PC debate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixQE496Pcn8

Glad to see the Amiga included, if only briefly! :lol:
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Kame-Sen'nin wrote:I thought everyone here might enjoy this MST3K clip where Crow and Tom Servo have their own Mac vs. PC debate:

I got a large file with all those MST3K vids to sit down and watch one day, so I am looking forward to when I see this skit again... in the not to distant future... ;)
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Kame-Sen'nin wrote:I thought everyone here might enjoy this MST3K clip where Crow and Tom Servo have their own Mac vs. PC debate:

Aww that's great! I don't think I ever saw this skit, thanks for that! :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*