What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by llj »

I'm only 40% through Gorg. When it comes to 60s British TV serials, I'm mostly familiar with the spy shows--The Avengers, the Patrick McGoohan stuff...mostly the stuff that made it to North America.

OT: Anyone here able to verify if Greg has posted yet since the changeover?
gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by gaijinpunch »

Totally dug Megazone 23 part 1, but mainly b/c it's so ridiculous... and the guy actually got laid. How often does that happen in anime these days? I mean, besides form an octopus man. The other awesome thing about the Megazone 23 was the attention to detail of the city - it's modeled pretty accurately after Tokyo, so has some nice nostalgia.

Glad I can share some hate on Gunbuster 2. :D
Ranma
I get it... it never was my thing. I have seen Maison Ikkoku all the way through a few times considering I retimed those episodes from LD... that is generally 3x per episode. And then I watched them again a couple of years ago for old times sake. Good stuff. I'm seeing Ranma a bit differently now... probably b/c my Japanese is better, so I don't miss the stuff that simply doesn't do well with subtitles. That and in my old age I really watch stuff to just relax. So, it's serving it's purpose.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

I checked out the first episode of Digimon Adventure Tri on Hulu, but didn't realize it's a 4-part splicing of the Reunion movie. So I think I might try to find the movie somewhere because while the redone OP and ED are nostalgically awesome, the pacing of the episode did feel off to me.

What is going on with Toei Animation lately though? I think I'm the only one who was distracted by the awful jumpy and off model all the time animation going on. It was downright ugly at times.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
llj

Post by llj »

gaijinpunch wrote:Totally dug Megazone 23 part 1, but mainly b/c it's so ridiculous... and the guy actually got laid. How often does that happen in anime these days? I mean, besides form an octopus man. .
I can verify Future Diary as a show where the male protagonist gets laid.
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

I'm in the middle of watching Kill la Kill, which despite being overhyped to no end, is a really fun show. I'm only on episode 7, but so far I'm really into it.

Also working my way through Dirty Pair Flash. I honestly don't know how I feel about this show. I love the original Dirty Pair, and the "updated" character designs just aren't doing it for me. The episodes haven't been that exciting either, but I plan to watch the show in its entirety, regardless.
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

Giant Gorg. Discotek did an amazing job on this. I rant a little here. http://tochiro998.livejournal.com/21263.html :)
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

I have been watching a lot YouTube videos of cello performances. I have been watching Shin Chan episodes. I have been watching a lot of Doctor Who, Tom Baker, series.
***^__^***
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

I finally watched Appleseed Alpha last weekend. CG films can be hit of miss but, for me, Alpha has to be up there with Harlock for one of my favorite CG-style movies. Despite it being a reboot, I enjoyed the fresh take on the Appleseed mythos.

I'm still trying to work my way through Dirty Pair Flash, but I keep losing interest and watching other things instead (though the last two episodes I watched were getting progressively better--hopefully I'll finish this week). Also just viewed the first two episodes of New Cutey Honey, which I really enjoyed. I love the art style, especially since the main character is the complete antithesis to the helpless "cutesy" moe characters that seem to populate so many recent anime shows.
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

I just watched the movie "Ghost" a romance film with Keven Costner from the nineties. I actually cried a couple of times. I did not think that I would because I seen the movie years ago. Yet, even though I just watched "The Shining" and "Full Metal Jacket" a week earlier like it no big deal, I was still sensitive enough to be "touched" by that film.

It was really a relief because I was getting worried about becoming too callous to be romantic. I work as a civil servant and you got to be thick skinned to do the job. It is nice to know I am still sensitive, romantic, and empathetic after all these years of trails and tribulations. Humanity still intact! ^The news is better than I thought! Now onto writing some cello pieces!
***^__^***
llj

Post by llj »

Costner in "Ghost"? Or do you mean Patrick Swayze?