Vintage Anime Convention Camcorder Footage

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Re: Vintage Anime Convention Camcorder Footage

Post by Daniel »

Nice ideas. Thank you for all the info, everyone.

Project A-Kon 3 is up! Sorry it's a bit rough, but my source video is mostly short clips, so not much I can do about it, hope you enjoy anyhow. Project A-Kon 3 1992
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Do you know if the full footage of that is online someplace, id like to check that out?
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Daniel wrote:Nice ideas. Thank you for all the info, everyone.

Project A-Kon 3 is up! Sorry it's a bit rough, but my source video is mostly short clips, so not much I can do about it, hope you enjoy anyhow. Project A-Kon 3 1992
Thanks for sharing! It's crazy to see what Project A-Kon was like then compared to now.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

scriptweaver wrote:Well, I'll be glad to help. There's a newish streaming site I personally use called StreamUp and they have a chat bar on the side just like twitch. its pretty user friendly too (In my opinion). I've used this site for all sorts of anime streaming. I've been using it for almost a yr now, so I must assume the owners don't really care whats being streamed. If you need any help connecting it with your OBS, just ask. If you want me to do an example stream or something, I can do that too.

http://www.streamup.com <--- here's the site
Hey, I've been playing around with Streamup myself and I'm trying to figure out how to get video files on my end to play on the stream. Any tips would be appreciated!
scriptweaver
Anime Fan Since: 2000

Post by scriptweaver »

ok, so if you haven't already, download a program that can stream your computer onto a streaming network. The program I use is OBS or Open Broadcaster Software.

Here's the link to their site: https://obsproject.com/

I would personally recommend OBS Multiplatform (64bit), it has plenty of features and settings to use.

Let me know if your already at this point and I'll tell you how to connect your OBS to your StreamUp account.
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

thanks for the recommendation, I will get rocking with that when I get a spare minute, and I'll let you know when I attempt to start "broadcasting"!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

DKop wrote:Do you know if the full footage of that is online someplace, id like to check that out?
If it is I've never seen it. Again, could be good material for "online club meetings" where we watch stuff together.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Doesn't Skype also allow a conference call to be set up with up to 25 people? I think that was on my update the other day. Let me check... Yes, confirmed. So, you can always try that...

Some of my best convention footage was stolen when my camcorder was stolen at a convention in the early 1990s but I have all the other convention footage I shot, mostly from area scifi cons but also Worldcons. I have it going back to the 1987 Brighton England Worldcon. I never transferred most of it. Also stuff from a Dr. Who con I attended back in the late 1980s with Liz Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith) doing a presentation. Fun stuff. I guess I should get cracking, eh?
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

_D_ wrote:Some of my best convention footage was stolen when my camcorder was stolen at a convention in the early 1990s but I have all the other convention footage I shot, mostly from area scifi cons but also Worldcons. I have it going back to the 1987 Brighton England Worldcon. I never transferred most of it. Also stuff from a Dr. Who con I attended back in the late 1980s with Liz Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith) doing a presentation. Fun stuff. I guess I should get cracking, eh?
Sounds like you have some pretty cool footage to archive!
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

that A-Kon footage is great. First shot is of Neil Nadelman, second shot is Alec Orrock selling his FSTS zines, then further along is Pam Buck doing her anime con game show.

That A-Kon is the one where Saturday night we engaged in a water gun fight and got busted by con security and one of the con security persons and one of the con guests had a physical altercation, which put a pall over the remainder of the weekend for us. Don't shoot water guns indoors, kids