New Vision of Escaflowne HD Dub Kickstarter

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

New Vision of Escaflowne HD Dub Kickstarter

Post by usamimi »

So Funimation is FINALLY starting to get the ball rolling with it's Escaflowne re-release, starting with a Kickstarter to see if fans out there really want a new HD dub for the series: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fu ... r-the-clas

Honestly I think it's a great idea, because that old dub was NOT very good and didn't age well at all. I love original Escaflowne best, but it was hard for me to recommend to my friends who like dubs because it was so bad! ^^; So I'm hoping this actually works, it'd be cool to see Escaflowne take off with a whole new generation of fans. And the reward tiers seem to have something for everyone, so I'll be curious to see how this one does.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: New Vision of Escaflowne HD Dub Kickstarter

Post by Akage »

Thanks for the link.

Low pledge from me because there's no sketch tier. That's like, the kiss of death for me with these projects. No (reasonably priced) sketch tier, no high pledge. Con season will be in full swing for me next month and if these projects can't line up a sketch tier, I'll blow my funds at the charity auctions instead.
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Thanks for sharing! Now I just need to figure out what reward tier to pick...
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I kinda feel that the Kickstarter is on the same page as Shenmue 3. It seems that they are going to release the series regardless, but they did this to generate buzz on it. It's different than how AnimEigo is doing their Kickstarter because your getting the product directly through the funding of that and only that way as a statement of "here are the real fans of this show/OVA, and its only available through here other than the few extra copies we have on the site." I still have my Bandai perfect collection sets (which im guessing is the bad dub on there?) so I can watch it through those means since im not a huge Escaflowne fan. I plan on watching that series eventually.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yeah they said they would release it regardless, but they want to release the unedited version (with deleted scenes added in). And these scenes never got dubbed, since theory weren't in the old release. So they wanted to see if a new dub was something people would be interested in. Makes sense to me? (Plus that old dub was soooo bad. It was a product of the WordFit system, and I've been told there's a few parts were they accidentally swapped lines with the wrong characters.) They also said if it was funded, they'd get new Japanese commentary recorded by Kawamori & others, so I'm looking forward to that more than the dub tbh!
DKop

Post by DKop »

Is the old dub release the same as what Bandai put out in their collectors sets? Or was this the dub from when this aired on UPN network in the late 90's?
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

DKop wrote:Is the old dub release the same as what Bandai put out in their collectors sets? Or was this the dub from when this aired on UPN network in the late 90's?
Its the Bandai dvd release dub, that awful TV version with the techno music has been lost to the ages.
DKop

Post by DKop »

usamimi wrote:
DKop wrote:Is the old dub release the same as what Bandai put out in their collectors sets? Or was this the dub from when this aired on UPN network in the late 90's?
Its the Bandai dvd release dub, that awful TV version with the techno music has been lost to the ages.
Oh man.... noooooooooooooooooooow I gotta crack these babies open and see for myself. :lol: :lol: I've seen some bad dubs before, so I know what to expect.
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

I saw all of the series subtitled and I watched. The entire series in a weekend. A good dub would have been even better.I still have me old VHS copy of 3x3 eyes because the dub was some much better than the rerelease of the series on DVD. A good dubb is better than the subbed version if they can here it right. I look forward to the new dub!
***^__^***
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

Just wanted to submit another story regarding the shadiness of what goes on at a con.

I was at SakuraCon 2016 this past weekend. This year, Funimation brought over three guests, one of which was Ayumi Yamada, who was chief animation director on Owari no Seraph. She drew two sketches for the charity auction. She was told they were going to the charity auction, which, at SakuraCon, fully goes towards Make-A-Wish.

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/60/Lp5AiX.png

Except that these sketches never showed. I sat through the entire auction and these never appeared. I was fully prepared to spend stupid money on them. I've contacted both SakuraCon and Funimation about it and have been ignored. I've also contacted the artist and her company (in Japanese)and informed her that her sketches were not sold.

I know a lot of stuff happens under the table at conventions regarding guests and artwork. But I greatly detest it when a company tells an artist that the money raised by their artwork will go towards a noble cause, only to pocket it themselves for their glory wall. What burns me even more is that Funimation is currently running an Escaflowne Kickstarter in the attempt to raise money. As of this post, they're well over their initial goal by over 130K. Why was there any need to take this artwork? Couldn't they have simply sat through the auction, won the artwork and use a portion of the money raised from the KS to help the charity instead?

Because of this, I've pulled my pledge from the Escaflowne campaign and blasted it on their comment section. I also won't be buying any Funimation products ever again. It's sick that this company took funds that could have gone towards paying for a wish for some child who could have really used this just so the company could have two more shikishi for their office wall. I know my withdrawal of my pledge is a drop in the bucket, but I can't support a company that behaves like this.