90's Sci-Fi Channel Saturday Anime

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

90's Sci-Fi Channel Saturday Anime

Post by Daniel »

Anyone else remember getting up early on the weekend to watch anime on the Sci-Fi Channel? I wasn't much of an early riser at that time so sometimes I wouldn't be able to make it; still have good memories, though!

These were on the old channel, so you may have seen them already, but I've (re-)uploaded some memorabilia to YouTube.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMwMkYZvW5Q

Enjoy!
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Re: 90's Sci-Fi Channel Saturday Anime

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Great stuff! As usual, thanks for uploading this footage! :D
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I remember that through Saturday Anime, I first saw Roujin Z for the first time, but it wasn't until years later I found out what the name of the anime was. They had that playing on Sci Fi the same time that the Toonami Rising Sun block was Cartoon Networks Saturday morning cartoon block to air the DBZ Garlic Jr. Saga. That day was a day I was torn between watching two different anime I really wanted see but couldn't decide as a 14 year old.
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Now that you mention it, just how long did the Sci-Fi channel keep airing anime anyhow? If you're talking DBZ Garlic Jr. arc, then it must have been relatively late.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Daniel wrote:Now that you mention it, just how long did the Sci-Fi channel keep airing anime anyhow? If you're talking DBZ Garlic Jr. arc, then it must have been relatively late.
The time period I mentioned was that April of 2000, which was when the Toonami Rising Sun program block on Cartoon Netowork first hit the air ( I was gonna say 2001 but I was out of anime at the time).

If your talking about how long Sci-Fi aired anime on their channel or the last time, that would be about May or so of 2011 when they killed of the Ani-Monday block (which I think they pushed it to Tuesday or Thursday nights at that time). I remember taping some episodes of Star Blazers from their block, which was one of the last shows they put on before taking it off the air. At that point, they weren't really getting anything new once the Monster series ended and started to re-air OVA's and shows they previously ran before. I kinda stuck with it since they were airing Gundam 00 on television in the fall of 2008, and later aired the other part of that Gundam series.

They got a list of all the anime they aired on Sci-Fi, but nothing really specific on the Ani-Monday block: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... wn_on_Syfy

The last night of Anime on Sci-Fi was June 9th, 2011: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ter-june-9

This also seems to be a more detailed list, but of 2008: http://www.animationmagazine.net/tv/sci ... ni-monday/
scriptweaver
Anime Fan Since: 2000

Post by scriptweaver »

Ahaha the Rising Sun block on Toonami. I remember the Midnight Run fondly and how during the time of the garlic junior saga, the Gundam wing series was nearing an end. I actually have a VHS tape recording of many DBZ and Gundam wing eps that aired on the midnight run during that year (it was like the last 10ish to 20ish episodes of Gundam and the nearing conclusion of the Namek saga for DBZ.

My favorite thing about Toonami then was the promos. Oooooh my the promos.

Also on Sci Fi Saturday, the last thing I saw on that block was Requiem for the darkness back in 2010ish (but at that point it wasn't on Saturdays anymore like DKop said). I didn't know they shut down the block which actually explains alot as to why I never see it on anymore.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Before they got bought out by Universal, they used to run a lot of old stuff that has not run since. Things like The Magician with Bill Bixby, Spider-Man with Nicholas Hammond, Planet of the Apes TV series, The Powers of Mathew Star, etc. These also had wonderful interviews with the cast and crew that unfortunately don't appear on any DVDs...if they came out (and most were never released on DVD). Luckily I have most of them still on tape as I was recording them from satellite at the time or getting them from friends with BUDs (Big Ugly Dishes...the old C Band ones that were 10 feet across or more). Got lots of old tapes like that...
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

I remember seeing the following

Akira
Galaxy Express 999
Tenchi Muyo in Love
Roujin Z
Robot Carnival
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

_D_ wrote:Before they got bought out by Universal, they used to run a lot of old stuff that has not run since. Things like The Magician with Bill Bixby, Spider-Man with Nicholas Hammond, Planet of the Apes TV series, The Powers of Mathew Star, etc. These also had wonderful interviews with the cast and crew that unfortunately don't appear on any DVDs...if they came out (and most were never released on DVD). Luckily I have most of them still on tape as I was recording them from satellite at the time or getting them from friends with BUDs (Big Ugly Dishes...the old C Band ones that were 10 feet across or more). Got lots of old tapes like that...
I really miss that era of the Sci-Fi channel! I used to love watching these shows as a kid, and now some of them can be very difficult to find in any format--I'm looking at you, Spider-Man with Nicholas Hammond.

That's really cool that you have tapes with so much of this content; don't lose those tapes! ;)
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I loved watching Saturday Anime when I could. I usually tried to watch that as it broadcast and tape the stuff on other channels to watch later. In hindsight, I think I wish I did it in the opposite order. My one complaint about it though was that it was heavily in the Central Park Media/U.S. Manga Corps. library, which I had access to via video stores. I also didn't like that if they broadcast something that was multiple parts, like Record of Lodoss War OAV, it was only the first couple of episodes and never the full series. Though, kudos to them for showing a variety of stuff from said catalog. Without it, I would have actually spent money to find out I didn't really like Iria: Zieram - The Animation.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.