The Lucky Finds bragging thread

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: The Lucky Finds bragging thread

Post by Akage »

I liked the OVAs better than the series itself. Sasami and Tenchi are siblings in the OVA, but their mom was pretty psycho in a fun way...and then there was the villain that was a Bill Gates parody. Pixie Misa was pretty special too, with her constant 'Engrish' usage. It's been a while since I've seen both the series and the OVAs. At one time, I really liked the Tenchi franchise and tried to watch everything I could from it.

My favorite part about the series was the continuing feud between the candidates for goddess. The OP and EDs are cute and the songs get stuck in your head. I can still see Ryo-ohki shaking those carrot maracas.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I actually got this a few weeks ago but forgot to post it--finally found a replacement for the copy I lost ages ago! (That didn't cost $40, lol...resellers are crazy).
IMG_20160505_083236.jpg
IMG_20160505_083236.jpg (273.84 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi wrote:I actually got this a few weeks ago but forgot to post it--finally found a replacement for the copy I lost ages ago! (That didn't cost $40, lol...resellers are crazy).
Congrats on finally finding this! I recently picked one up as well. I usually refrain from posting anything negative...but let's just say I'm glad that Animeigo's later dubbing efforts improved upon their early efforts. :lol:
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Haha YEAH......even Michael Sinterniklaas (the voice of Ataru in it) told me himself he wishes he could forget it (he got a lil embarrassed when I brought it up at A-kon lol oops). It's more a fun oddity & collectable for me. XD have you ever heard the British dub? It's slightly better but still pretty ridiculous :lol:
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

usamimi wrote:Haha YEAH......even Michael Sinterniklaas (the voice of Ataru in it) told me himself he wishes he could forget it (he got a lil embarrassed when I brought it up at A-kon lol oops). It's more a fun oddity & collectable for me. XD have you ever heard the British dub? It's slightly better but still pretty ridiculous :lol:
I had that same convo with Robert Woodhead and Micheal last year at Animazement when I asked why only 2 episodes of the dub were done. Robert response was "...because no one wanted it. :lol: " Yea, Micheal got embarrassed by that also. That was a fun 45 minute convo between the two, and all of this audio editing knowledge Micheal told me he did as an ADR for dubbing back in the day, which I had no clue what he was mentioning.
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi wrote:Haha YEAH......even Michael Sinterniklaas (the voice of Ataru in it) told me himself he wishes he could forget it (he got a lil embarrassed when I brought it up at A-kon lol oops). It's more a fun oddity & collectable for me. XD have you ever heard the British dub? It's slightly better but still pretty ridiculous :lol:
There's a British dub??? Now I need to track that down as well! :lol:
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yup! I'm not sure if a vhs exists but it should still be on YouTube! ;)
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi wrote:Yup! I'm not sure if a vhs exists but it should still be on YouTube! ;)
I will definitely check that out! :D
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

So yesterday I decided to take a buncha stuff to the Half Price Books near our new apartment. It's a nice, big store, and I managed to find a few neat things!
hpb1.jpg
hpb1.jpg (145.18 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
The Japanese Marmalade Boy Artbook, and 2 issues of Newtype Comic Genki from the 80s with Eguchi drawn covers! Not something I was ever expecting to find, so pretty awesome. :mrgreen:

Flipping through one of the Genki issues later, I was surprised to see that one of them had the very first chapter of the Angel Cop manga adaptation! :shock: Again...not something I was expecting to find at all!
HPB2.jpg
HPB2.jpg (123.78 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
In the far off future of....1995........ :lol:
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Very cool finds usamimi! I've picked up a few anime-related items recently, but there are two that stand out: a sealed copy of the Bubblegum Crisis screen saver and the Dragon Ball Z: The Best of Vegeta DVD.

I enjoy toying around with older computers, so the Bubblegum Crisis screensaver is a nice addition to my collection. As for the Best of Vegeta DVD, I was shocked to find it at a local Movie Trading Company for $3.99! For those who aren't aware, this particular DVD received a very limited release, unlike the corresponding Best of Goku DVD.