Dragon Ball Super to air on Toonami beginning in January

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Dragon Ball Super to air on Toonami beginning in January

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Along with the English dub of Dragon Ball Super, Toonami will also be airing "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" beginning 07 January 2017.

-Dragon Ball Super update via Funimation
-Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters information via Kanzenshuu

For Dragon Ball fans, this is great news. Not only will we be getting Dragon Ball Super, but we will be getting the remainder of Dragon Ball Kai as well. I can't wait for January! :D
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Dragon Ball Super to air on Toonami beginning in January

Post by DKop »

I feel that its a lot of DBZ to cover in one night, with the main premiere at 8pm for super and the encure at 11:30 that night before Toonami starts with the Buu Kai saga, but at least it gives me a reason to finally see DBSuper. Toonami wouldn't be where its at if it wasnt for DBZ, so having an hours worth of it really makes up for classic Toonami from back in the 2000's.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Kinda sad I don't have cable anymore just because I'm kinda curious about the dub. Still, Dragon Ball is a series that belongs on tv. I hope everyone enjoys it!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

So did anyone watch the premier? I'm curious to hear how the dub went over. Also did they do an English version of the opening theme like they did with Kai?
SakoeraTyan
Anime Fan Since: Early 2000s

Post by SakoeraTyan »

usamimi wrote:So did anyone watch the premier? I'm curious to hear how the dub went over. Also did they do an English version of the opening theme like they did with Kai?
I can't try, because I'm outside North America, but I think you should be able to legally watch the episodes online here. And no idea if it works in Canada or not.

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/dragon-ball-super/

Episode 1: http://www.adultswim.com/videos/dragon- ... 0000-zeni/

Unfortunately, Funimation didn't dub any of the openings or endings for the first episode of Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters. They used the Japanese songs for Super, and the Engrish songs for TFC.

Interesting considering that the Hebrew and European Portuguese dubbers were allowed to dub the opening in Dragon Ball Super in their respective languages. On the other hand, all dubs of DBZK:TFC I'm aware of used the Engrish versions.

There's an official made-in-Japan Engrish version of the song that Funimation seemed to have opted not to use.
SakoeraTyan
Anime Fan Since: Early 2000s

Post by SakoeraTyan »

Since I can't find an Edit button to edit my last post, I'll double post.
SakoeraTyan wrote:There's an official made-in-Japan Engrish version of the song that Funimation seemed to have opted not to use.
I meant the Super opening song by this. A bit off-topic, but interestingly enough the official English subtitled simulcast stream uses the OP lyrics from the Engrish dubbed version rather than using a direct translation.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I really dug the first episode of Super on TV, and this might be the only time well see a full opening to the song for a while since the openings are cut down for time after they air the first episodes, or till a new intro comes in. The dub I thought was really good, feels like any old Funimation Dragonball dub to me.

In terms of Engrish openings for Dragonball, I might like those more than the "drunken-karaoke-night" openings with the voice actors that cannot sing trying to do the openings. It's not all of the versions, but it seems for the past year that's what ive had to endure.
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

In terms of karaoke, nothing beats "Cha-La Head-Cha-La". I've seen Hironobu Kageyama perform that song live, and both the Japanese and American fans absolutely love that show. There's nothing quite like being in an audience of a couple thousand people all yelling that line in unison.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Akage wrote:In terms of karaoke, nothing beats "Cha-La Head-Cha-La". I've seen Hironobu Kageyama perform that song live, and both the Japanese and American fans absolutely love that show. There's nothing quite like being in an audience of a couple thousand people all yelling that line in unison.
Omg YES. I've seen him perform it live too and everyone in the place went NUTS (myself included). That is just a fun song, no matter which version of DBZ you like.
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

New episode is about to air...anyone else keeping up with the Toonami airings?

By the way, Amazon has a listing for the first U.S. Blu-ray set.