galaxy express 999 TV promo book at Let's Anime

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

galaxy express 999 TV promo book at Let's Anime

Post by davemerrill »

Just finished a Let's Anime on the 1978 promotional booklet Toei produced in order to try to sell Galaxy Express 999 to the English-speaking world, and how that didn't work out for a while, and when it did work out Harmony Gold spelled Leiji Matsumoto's name wrong. It's all at Let's Anime!

http://letsanime.blogspot.ca/2017/02/my ... train.html
999bookback.jpg
999bookback.jpg (89.24 KiB) Viewed 2965 times
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: galaxy express 999 TV promo book at Let's Anime

Post by runesaint »

Thank you for the read. It was nice to remember some of those times. I almost regret that I did not keep some of those old GE999 VHS copies, but in an effort to save space I went with newer and cleaner copies. Hm.
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Although I was aware of the New World Pictures version of Galaxy Express 999, I have never even heard of the Harmony Gold compilation films. Those must be difficult to track down. The "spotty (and possibly nonexistent) release" of the Harmony Gold version is reminiscent of their handling of the Dragon Ball license.

Great job covering this Dave! Your dedication to research never ceases to amaze me.
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

After tracking down a clip, it looks like the voice of Tetsuro in Harmony Gold's dub is Barbara Goodson--the same person who voiced Goku (renamed Zero) in their dub of Dragon Ball!!
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Yes, I have many of Toei's promo handouts in English including this GE 999 booklet. I guess i should scan them up sometime as I've only ever posted pics when people asked for specific series:

davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

You should definitely scan those in! I'd love to see those English-language promo books.
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

davemerrill wrote:You should definitely scan those in! I'd love to see those English-language promo books.
I'll second this! I'd love to take a look at that Dr. Slump booklet.
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

I note a complete lack of poop on a stick (or talking poop) in that promo cover. :)

I wonder how that little fact of life (poop) would have been handled, had the show been sold to a syndicator and slotted for KidVid time. Poop on a stick wasn't in EVERY episode but boy it was in a lot of them. Not as easy to replace compared to turning a cigarette into a lollypop stick.