Anime Hasshin

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Anime Hasshin

Post by davemerrill »

Caught up with Lorraine Savage and nailed down this Let's Anime article all about Anime Hasshin! If you want to read about perhaps the largest and longest-lived national (international!) anime fan club in America, this is it! http://letsanime.blogspot.ca/2017/03/in ... sshin.html
rose10-27.jpg
rose10-27.jpg (97.33 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: Anime Hasshin

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Very cool article! Having missed most of the fanzine & newsletter culture era, this sort of thing has interested me a lot. Nice to hear some stories about one of the successful ones - I feel like most of the ones that are bandied about the most are the ones that were the most drama-filled or otherwise went down in flames (probably because they make for more interesting stories).
Lorraine Savage In Let's Anime wrote:I had a blast making the award-winning anime fan videos “My Euthanasia” and “What’s New Pussycat.” When someone saw the murder and mayhem in “My Euthanasia,” he said, “Sweet little Lorraine made that?!” to which someone else told him, “You don’t know her very well, do you?”
I wondered when I started reading if this was the same person who did those videos! While I was never super big into AMVs, I did have copies of the AWA contests where those videos were played and always liked them.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

Wow! Great stuff!

I can't think of any national clubs as long-lived, although I can think of a regional(?) one, Cal-Animage. As far as I am aware, the Cal-Animage chapters still in existence are still aware of one another today, although a national organization is fairly pointless when there's no need for a fansub distribution network. (^_^). If you go by the start of the second chapter, Cal-Animage Beta in 1990, that would put the organization at 27 years. (I'm not quite sure what the guiding idea was, honestly. It wasn't California only; they have two chapters in Washington State, one in Western Australia, and one briefly in North Dakota, but don't seem to have been especially interested in expanding... the last chapter to join was in 1997.)

Did the Battle of the Planets Fan Club end up creating any anime clubs that outlasted the larger organization, in the same way that many C/FO clubs outlasted the national C/FO?

I always love the little interconnections between the organizations. The Chet Jasinski mentioned in the scanned Rose issue started the Atlantic Anime Alliance with Steve Pearl. (^_^)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Chet Jasinski went on to be one of the founders of Anime East, or AnimEast, however it's called. I don't know if he stuck around anime fandom after that convention went away.

Many of the BOTP club members are still involved in anime fandom, but I don't think any organizational part of that group survives. There's probably membership crossover between the club and the Bird Scramble APA that's still being published, but I don't think Bird Scramble ever had an official BOTP club connection.
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

Thanks for sharing, great read! Love seeing the covers on the pastel shaded paper :)
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

This early anime fan culture stuff is interesting. Since I was basically still in elementary school when this was going on, it's fascinating to read the politics of college-age anime fandom in the 80s. Of course, I was never that deep into fan culture ever, so it's alwaysinteresting to read about this stuff in any era.

And I agree it's kinda frustrating to dig up decades-old disputes and get worked up about not being able to wade into the conversations with our two cents now. :lol:
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

The funny thing is, those same discussions and arguments STILL EXIST to this day, just under a different light or name.
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

DKop wrote:The funny thing is, those same discussions and arguments STILL EXIST to this day, just under a different light or name.
I believe a helpful thought to consider is "Don't hate the playa, hate the game" :)
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

As MD Geist once said:

"The games not over yet.... it's just beginning..."

https://youtu.be/cz4i4tkLOq4?t=2623
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

DKop wrote:The funny thing is, those same discussions and arguments STILL EXIST to this day, just under a different light or name.

Yes, but you want the same people involved as your target. I'm imagining these 50+ year old balding guys looking each other up on the internet to settle 25-30 year old disputes... :)