Worldcon 1984 anime room: the schedule

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Worldcon 1984 anime room: the schedule

Post by davemerrill »

Steve Harrison was kind enough to clue me in on finding the schedule for the C/FO anime room at the 1984 Worldcon in Los Angeles. Both the anime room schedule and what was going on at Worldcon that year as a whole are a pretty good snapshot of what was happening in the field at the time, and I felt it was interesting enough to get a Let's Anime column out of it, and that's what I did!

http://letsanime.blogspot.com/2017/04/w ... ience.html
CFO_LA_FRI.jpg
CFO_LA_FRI.jpg (89.05 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
Please enjoy Steve's photo of Yoshiyuki Tomino wearing a Mickey Mouse hat. That is all.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Worldcon 1984 anime room: the schedule

Post by DKop »

So is the key to bring Tomino happiness again is to get that Mickey Mouse hat back on his head?

This was pretty cool.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I read the article the other day over lunch - and this is most likely a Steve question - but how were the subtitle offerings there? Like, quality of translation and film/tape? Also seems weird to see 'Macek' and 'Macross' at the same place knowing what would happen the following year.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

Drew_Sutton wrote:I read the article the other day over lunch - and this is most likely a Steve question - but how were the subtitle offerings there? Like, quality of translation and film/tape? Also seems weird to see 'Macek' and 'Macross' at the same place knowing what would happen the following year.
It's the darndest thing. I don't think I found the anime room the whole time I was there. If you look closely only one flyer actually mentions location! What I CAN say, because it was the norm of the time, the vast majority of the anime was raw Japanese. A few things likely were 'Hawaii Subs' as we knew them. It would have been all videotape for speed and convenience.

Lensman was hardsubbed of course, being on film. That I did attend and it was a frustrating thing. The film was shown in a room at the convention center so that meant a flat floor and folding chairs. No real elevation. So everyone watching, there was a creeping shifting about the further back from the screen until people were standing, and then everyone behind THEM are standing and trying to just see the movie and man! Worst possible way to screen a movie ever! The opinion was generally positive if united in feeling that while the movie didn't have a lot to do with the 'Doc' Smith books, it was pretty and action filled.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

I'd never realized what an important convention this was -- like I hadn't realized that this was the con that got the U.S. Renditions folks interested in anime back when they were in college.

Great stuff, and many thanks! (^_^)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

(Or possibly even high school?)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?