Photobucket ****!

Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here!
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Photobucket ****!

Post by llj »

Just a heads up. Anyone here still using photobucket for free, looks like you have to upgrade your accounts (i.e. pay money) to post photobucket images on message boards and the like now.

I have hundreds images now which are utterly useless now that I can't link to them. Some of them going back to the early-mid 2000s.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Photobucket ****!

Post by DKop »

Hold on let me try this out:

I'm noticing that there is a CRAP TON of ads all over the freaking place, im trying to click somewhere and BAM, it just shows up. This site seems to have gone to hell...

DKop

Post by DKop »

Haha... ain't that a piece of crap.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Tbh I'm kind of surprised Photobucket is still around after all these years! Most people use imgr now I think. Sucks that they made people's old albums unusable now tho :/
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

I remember when Villagephotos got nuked without any warning, and all the images I had saved (and paid for that service) went up in smoke. No warning, the company heads just disappeared without a trace. It was at that time I learned to always keep a back up.

As long as you can still access your photos, get them while you can and upload them elsewhere before the service disappears or charges you to retrieve them.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I spent all weekend before last going through four years worth of Let's Anime posts, grabbing the photos from my old Photobucket account and re-uploading them through Blogger. Ugh.

It had been my intention to eventually get everything off of Photobucket, but that was a long-term rainy-day project, not a "holy crap all my pix are gone" thing. Oh well. I managed to replace a lot of terrible old screencaps with new, better images, and I was able to fix some of the more irritating typos and factual errors in a few posts, so it's all good, I guess.

I don't know why anyone would use Photobucket for anything other than third-party hosting, and I don't know why anyone would PAY Photobucket for it. I guess they're hoping for a lot of stupid potential customers.
DKop

Post by DKop »

I didn't use it for a few years since I was using other stuff, but I would use it as a quick way to get photos on a site that didn't have any kind of hosting for images.

I guess im doing an Imugr account. I've had my Photobucket going back... 2005 maybe?
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

Very sad for folks who have no backups of their stock. I guess Imgur is the way to go. Photobucket's T&Cs were dodgy too.