It's Back - Akihabara Renditions

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: It's Back - Akihabara Renditions

Post by DKop »

Listened to the episodes. If you guys are going to do creator spotlights, go for it. Your tomino episodes were good. Can't wait till you guys talk about Gunpla.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

DKop wrote:Listened to the episodes. If you guys are going to do creator spotlights, go for it. Your tomino episodes were good. Can't wait till you guys talk about Gunpla.
And now it's Gunpla time! Series 2 Episode 6 is up now!

If anyone is going to be at Anime Weekend Atlanta - I think there are a few people who have said that in a few threads - Richard and I will be in attendance as well and interested in hanging out. We are, unfortunately, not hosting panels (or selling off old stuff at the SHFS) because I am bad at calendars. Which means we will have the sweet, sweet horrible freedom to attend panels, meals and goof off as we see fit.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Talk about perfect timing, because ive gotten back into Gunpla recently (more in due to me finding a healthy way to get over my break up with my ex). I'll will give this a listen for sure.

I know a friend of mine and I will probably go for either one or two days, and that seems to be likely Saturday and Sunday. I'd like to meet whoever I can there on those two days, so i'll plan on that happening to some extent. If im doing any kinda of panel stuff ill try submitting for next year, since last year nothing I submitted got approved so, its whatever.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

I didn't realize you did a podcast -- it's really good. (^_^)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Thanks, mbanu! We're open to any feedback you have about it!

So, with AWA in the books, and a busier than average September & October, we have plans for the next episode as well as one in the can to be edited, it'll be a minute before we can get them delivered out.

But, if you need some anime chat to keep you going, we've started a blog category called Free Talk. I've posted the first article, about the music of Rurouni Kenshin TV. These are going to be like a more traditional blog - mostly text based but have multimedia support for illustrations. The idea is that these are going to be for topics that are interesting (or just plain fun) to talk about but aren't something we could do a whole podcast episode or prepare a convention panel/talk on. I've got a couple drafts started of stuff; some of these like the Kenshin topic are things I've been kicking around for a while, others are very recent flashes of brilliance.

Hope everyone likes it!
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

With really busy holiday schedules and recording out of order, we've went longer without a podcast update than I wanted to or even anticipated. Richard and I shake off a little bit of podcast rust as we discuss, very briefly, our thoughts on Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky! Please check it out.

We've also got plans to sit down and record one more episode for the year, as well as another back from before to be released heading into 2018.

Since this is our first review of an anime in Series 2, I went ahead and spent some time today building out The Akihabara Renditions Review Index. We're probably a little rusty on reviewing an individual piece of media, so now you can compare it to some of our Series 1 work as we get back into that groove.
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

It's that time of year - the calendar is winding down and getting ready for any number and types of parties, which means it's time for the Akihabara Renditions tradition: It's time for Christmas Craptacular! Here is our fifth installment of the series, conveniently named Christmas Craptacular V!
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

We've got a new episode for you featuring Basil from our Podcast Superfriends, the OSMcast! Recorded back at AWA in September, we're talking about Anime Streaming Bubbles, timely enough! The Anime Streaming Bubble.
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Haven't posted here in a while - been working on some background things for AkibaRen and prepping articles, both of which are a slower grind than I expected since it's all been against growing work and personal commitments.

Just dropped Series 2 Episode 12 tonight where Richard and I review Robot Carnival and Record of Lodoss War OAVs. We've had a few other episodes released in the meantime (obvs) so be sure to check us out the Podcast category on akibaren.net or via your favorite podcast app because now we're on iTunes, Google Play and Stitcher.

Next on the list is getting more than one to two episodes in front of our releases and figuring out why my podcast app of choice still has old RSS information stored...
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Like a bad news day, last week I dropped another Free Talk at Akihabara Renditions ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday and am just now getting to updating the thread here. Probably of little interest to the majority here but I think there are a few folks who might like it, I talk a little bit about Internet fandom of the mid-late 1990s and early 2000s and stuff I pulled off of a bunch of my old floppy drives that were dropped off at my house.

A Treasure Trove of Junk: Personal Archive of Internet Anime Fandom, 1996 ~ 2002