Yet another younger fan here

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Valand
Anime Fan Since: 2003

Re: Yet another younger fan here

Post by Valand »

usamimi wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:55 am I was like "oh yeah, I forgot I'm basically a fossil, lol."
Claiming Death Note to be one would even make me a fossil!
Akage wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:47 am Yay! Another fellow collector! Do you have scans of them online?! I wanna see :D
Hi! I didn't. But I scanned and/or uploaded a couple of them just now! Also the pictures from one of Mandarake's autcions that I won are still online, so I'm linking those as well.

The shikishi has some fingerprints I hope belong to Toshihiro Hirano! But it's probably the previous owner's...

Right now I'd like to get cels from Patlabor, from which I don't have any. It would in theory also be nice to have one with a background from Kiki's Delivery Service as the city is inspired by the one I live in. But Ghibli cels are just too expensive.

Oh and I took a look at your collection over at Rubberslug. That's a really impressive one for sure.
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Post by karageko »

I was looking for some Patlabor cels too not that long ago but conceded cause as expected they're a little pricey :P
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
karageko

Post by karageko »

Instead of Patlabor, I settled for an EXTREMELY influential VERY important anime instead. I haven't gotten around to scanning it properly though so I only have a crappy phone picture in the meantime. Bonus point for people who figure out what title this comes from.

TwitterBlog
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

Valand wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:25 pm The shikishi has some fingerprints I hope belong to Toshihiro Hirano! But it's probably the previous owner's...

Right now I'd like to get cels from Patlabor, from which I don't have any. It would in theory also be nice to have one with a background from Kiki's Delivery Service as the city is inspired by the one I live in. But Ghibli cels are just too expensive.

Oh and I took a look at your collection over at Rubberslug. That's a really impressive one for sure.
I've seen some poorly cared for shikishi boards, and it's sad that they do have a tendency to yellow(and eventually turn brown) as they age. If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend buying some mylar bags for the shikishi and some microchamber paper. It won't undo the damage already done, but it'll slow any further damage. You also might want to buy some polypropylene bags for the cels. I have no idea what plastic material Mandarake uses as packaging for their cels, but I always swap out their bag for my polypro upon arrival.

Ghibli, and anything that possibly was touched by Miyazaki, goes for stupid prices. Though, in its defense, it has held on to its value. Seems like the only cels that have held their value are from Ghibli, Sailor Moon, Dragonball, Pokémon and Evangelion....though, CCS prices have skyrocketed in the past year due to the revival. I still have yet to buy anything Ghibli or drawn by Miyzaki. I can't justify spending thousands of dollars on a cel.

Thanks for the Rubberslug comment. I really wish I knew how to use Photoshop. Some of the cel scans really could use some digital cleaning.
Valand

Post by Valand »

Akage wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:57 am
If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend buying some mylar bags for the shikishi and some microchamber paper. It won't undo the damage already done, but it'll slow any further damage.
I live in Sweden and unfortunately microchamber paper is only sold in America and no stores carrying them offer international shipping. Since they only come in stacks of 100 or more, the shipping cost would probably exceed the price for the product itself anyway. But I appreciate your care for these artworks and your suggestions.
Akage wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:57 am I really wish I knew how to use Photoshop. Some of the cel scans really could use some digital cleaning.
If you play around with the clone stamp, I think you'll find that cleaning is among the easiest things you can do. If there is a particular cel you have in mind, I can probably do it for you (I'd need the original high resolution version).
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

Valand wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:03 am I live in Sweden and unfortunately microchamber paper is only sold in America and no stores carrying them offer international shipping. Since they only come in stacks of 100 or more, the shipping cost would probably exceed the price for the product itself anyway. But I appreciate your care for these artworks and your suggestions.
I can send some microchamber paper to you. It's not difficult for me to roll down to the post office and send an international package.
Akage wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:57 am If you play around with the clone stamp, I think you'll find that cleaning is among the easiest things you can do. If there is a particular cel you have in mind, I can probably do it for you (I'd need the original high resolution version).
Thanks. I'd really appreciate it. I have a Mewtwo (Pokémon) cel that I'd love to display in my gallery, but the scan really needs to be cleaned.
Valand

Post by Valand »

Thank you, I'd be happy to get a few sheets. I sent a PM!
karageko wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:36 pm Bonus point for people who figure out what title this comes from.
And sorry Karageko, I didn't mean to ignore you but I have no clue where it comes from. They give me a bit of a Macross vibe, I think it's the guys in the backgrounds playing tricks on me though. Another thought struck me as well and although I know it's the wrong answer I was still impressed with myself. I just got "Sandybell" popping up in my head, an anime I've never watched. I googled it and found that there was a character very similar to the one in your cel, although not the same one. I have no idea how that happened!
karageko

Post by karageko »

Valand wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:27 pm And sorry Karageko, I didn't mean to ignore you but I have no clue where it comes from. They give me a bit of a Macross vibe, I think it's the guys in the backgrounds playing tricks on me though. Another thought struck me as well and although I know it's the wrong answer I was still impressed with myself. I just got "Sandybell" popping up in my head, an anime I've never watched. I googled it and found that there was a character very similar to the one in your cel, although not the same one. I have no idea how that happened!
Haha no worries, I put that up there as more of a joke. The anime it comes from is neither important nor influential (as far as I'm aware). Maybe someone else will name it though so I'll keep the answer to myself for now :P .
TwitterBlog
Valand

Post by Valand »

karageko wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:01 pm The anime it comes from is neither important nor influential (as far as I'm aware).
Oh I didn't realize you were sercastic, haha. I thought it might just be a side character showing up for one episode or something! Anyway, I'm sure most people here have watched way more anime than I have, so maybe someone will still be able to figure it out.

As for myself, I love watching obscure anime, but I guess this hasn't been one of them! Unless I wasn't paying enough attention.
karageko

Post by karageko »

So I got a PM on IRC from someone with a bizarre NSFW name (made me laugh), with the right answer. I have no idea who the person although I guess they check out this forum. Well, since someone got it right, I'll just name the title here: Ai City.
TwitterBlog