Hi There

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Fvlminatvs
Anime Fan Since: 1981

Hi There

Post by Fvlminatvs »

I'm happy to have found this little forum and I guess it's appropriate to do the obligatory self-introduction.

I've been a fan of anime since I was a kid. I didn't find out it was Japanese until the early-to-mid 1990s when movies like Akira came out on VHS (I was in middle school at the time.) Anime back then was more of a social thing back them--lots of movie nights with friends watching rented VHS tapes, hooking VCRs together to copy some of those rented tapes, discovering fansubbers and trading/copying fansubbed tapes were part of what helped define my group of friends in high school and college.

I still watch anime and I even watch some of the newer shows. There are some shows from the 1980s and 1990s on Crunchyroll, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime if you don't mind subtitles.
Valand
Anime Fan Since: 2003

Re: Hi There

Post by Valand »

Hi! I joined recently, but I'll welcome you anyway.

As for the social aspect, I was going to an anime circle in a basement once a week for a while, not too long ago. They use a projector to show anime and they've been doing it since the early 90s. I hope I can renew this habit soon. Maybe there is something in your area as well.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

welcome to the forum, the brotherhood and sisterhood of Those Who Hooked VCRs Together To Copy Tapes Back In The Day!

Actually I was at a nerd-swap event a month ago and got to talking about VHS and anime fandom back in the day with another participant, and he said "back then you had to know someone with one of those dual-deck VHS copying devices", and I had to explain how easy it was to use AV cables to connect VHS decks. It didn't seem that arcane to me, but I guess it is to some.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

davemerrill wrote:welcome to the forum, the brotherhood and sisterhood of Those Who Hooked VCRs Together To Copy Tapes Back In The Day!

Actually I was at a nerd-swap event a month ago and got to talking about VHS and anime fandom back in the day with another participant, and he said "back then you had to know someone with one of those dual-deck VHS copying devices", and I had to explain how easy it was to use AV cables to connect VHS decks. It didn't seem that arcane to me, but I guess it is to some.
Lol, $#!ts not rocket science, and works with coax cables also (but the quality suffers from it). I figured out that on my own a few years ago on transferring tapes that I had. It's called I didn't have a DVD recorder at the time.
Fvlminatvs

Post by Fvlminatvs »

Valand wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:19 amAs for the social aspect, I was going to an anime circle in a basement once a week for a while, not too long ago. They use a projector to show anime and they've been doing it since the early 90s. I hope I can renew this habit soon. Maybe there is something in your area as well.
You should. I think it's way more fun that way. I've noticed most young people tend to watch anime alone (on their phones, laptops, tablets, etc., via streaming and so on), so now it is more of a solitary hobby.
davemerrill wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:55 amwelcome to the forum, the brotherhood and sisterhood of Those Who Hooked VCRs Together To Copy Tapes Back In The Day!
I remember borrowing one of my high school friends' VCRs. One summer, I had my brother dub a few seasons of fansubbed shows for that friend while I was at work. To his credit, he sat there all day until I came home at the end of my shift, watching the shows and switching the tapes (he was in middle school at the time). He doesn't complain about it, though, because it meant he got to watch all that stuff!

If a middle school kid could handle it back in the summer of '98, I think most people can figure it out if given enough time.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Welcome, welcome! :D

lol yup, it didn't take me long to figure out how to use the VCR as a tween and teen! But it did take my parents a little getting used to, so I guess everyone's different. It always seemed to me like the really "serious" otaku were always ready to embrace & learn new technology, at least.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Welcome! Thanks for joining. Pull up a chair and relax. :)
Fvlminatvs

Post by Fvlminatvs »

Daniel wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:51 am Welcome! Thanks for joining. Pull up a chair and relax. :)
Thanks. It's nice to talk to other "old fogies" like myself about "old anime" for a change! (Although they say we're old, we're still young at heart!)
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by runesaint »

davemerrill wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:55 am welcome to the forum, the brotherhood and sisterhood of Those Who Hooked VCRs Together To Copy Tapes Back In The Day!

I think it is the difference between some effort and no effort. Similar with computers, it wasn't exactly hard to set them up a few decades ago,
... actually, even now people seem to think that it requires some massive effort to work on computers and seem amazed at the brilliance of people who, in their own mind, think that they are nothing special.
Actually.. actually I have a better idea.
To those that do not know how to do something, anyone seems an expert.
To those of us who know a little, we know how much we do not know, so do not consider ourselves expert?