How many of us kept their old collections?

Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here!
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: How many of us kept their old collections?

Post by Akage »

Fvlminatvs wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:32 pm
Akage wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:50 am Excluding the final season, the entire series has been released and is in the process of being re-released by Viz.
Does that include the movies? I don't think I've seen them on Amazon or Rightstuf.
Pioneer/Geneon released those in the US years ago. You can probably find used copies for cheap on E-bay. I haven't bothered looking because I bought remastered (yet still bootleg) DVDs of the series over a decade ago. It's a sad statement when their video quality looks better than what Viz has released.

Viz is in the process of re-releasing the movies with a new dub. You can watch the first movie on their website now and I believe the first movie will be for sale soon, if it isn't already.

When I did a quick Google search, some fan website called the R movie some of the best animation in the series. NOPE. It was nice but Ikuko Ito wasn't at the helm. Or Miho Shimogasa. Both did some of the best animation for the series. Although scans of it exist online (and I own a couple of the cels referenced), I still need to get around to getting the douga doujinshi that several of the animators released during the late SuperS and Sailorstars seasons.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Akage wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:00 am
Akage wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:50 am Excluding the final season, the entire series has been released and is in the process of being re-released by Viz.
Does that include the movies? I don't think I've seen them on Amazon or Rightstuf.
Pioneer/Geneon released those in the US years ago. You can probably find used copies for cheap on E-bay.
Viz put out a bluray of the first movie, Sailor Moon R-- Amazon: https://amzn.to/2GFVBQX Rightstuf: http://shrsl.com/vh9f The quality is actually VERY good because for once, Toei did the remastering and not Viz trying to do it themselves, so it looks leaps and bounds better than the TV series releases they've put out so far. I'm assuming they're working on the other movies, but very slowly (as their focus has seemed to be mainly the TV series, and the other stuff will come out "eventually".)

The old Pioneer/Geneon DVD releases are actually still going for a lot on the second-hand market because people who grew up with them want those old dubs. A glance on eBay shows people still asking for $100+ for the DVD Movie box, or around $40+ for just the R & S movies, with the SuperS movie around $20+. Amazon seems to want more, as usual.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by runesaint »

I think perhaps I should reply to the original question. Lets see...
Probably part of the Robotech generation. Started going to comic book conventions, anime from there. Started collections back when people had tape lists and you requested tape "TW 203" with whatever was on it. If there was one thing you wanted you got the whole tape. Occasionally that would lead to other shows. I went to college and greatly expanded from there. Postage got added to tuition, so I did lots and lots of tape trades. Started up a college club that appears to still be in existence. I wrote back and forth with lots of people whose names would likely be familiar (Lorraine, Bruce Carlson, Patricia Munson-Siter, 'Jelinek', etc). I had access to a Japanese store that had a huge collection so I would rent them and copy (japanese language, right off TV) and trade them to people that lacked access. One person loved Godzilla toys so I would purchase them for him and trade for an equivalent amount of tapes. I would find what people wanted and help them with others..
What with one thing or another I had to drop out of college. I kept trading then....
As an aside, at every point most of my collection was items that were copied from tape to tape and sent one way or another. I watched a vanishingly small portion of what I collected. I would trade things for what I would eventually want to see someday.. decades later I still haven't seen much of it.

At one point I went through and cataloged all of my tapes and counted them. I distinctly recall them being just a touch over two thousand. Two thousand VHS tapes... at one point I acquired a GoVideo VHS->DVD and recorded all of my VHS tapes to DVDs.. I still spent far more time copying them than actually watching any of them... Afterwards I sifted thru and cut down on many shows. I sometimes wonder about things that I didn't keep... I donated my VHS tapes a few hundred a month to local clubs...

Eventually I got copies that were better than what I had and disposed of the GoVideo VHS copied to disks.. many of the shows with commercials and "extras" went away around here...
Odd that I can still remember the commercials that played at the end of Saint Seiya episodes. Some of the commercials that played... anyway.

As I moved a few more times my acquiring went down. Even as DVDs there were still a large volume made up. After having storage places holding so much for so long (much of which I still have never watched....) I went through and ran my collections thru yet another sieve. The shows that I kept I tossed the cases and put the DVD's into those huge CD storage cases that hold hundreds of disks at 8 disks per page..

All those shows that I spent all that time working to trade for; purchasing from overseas, trading ... (I remember purchasing the LD's of Record of Lodoss War from Japan, I would lend them to subtitlers and get a 1st generation copy back for letting them use them.. I remember the laser rot as well... I remember worrying when I would call Laser Perceptions on a pay phone and he would immediately recognize my voice and address me by name... Nikaku Animart.. ).. purchasing things from US Manga Corp and AnimEigo even if I didn't want them so as to help them start up and keep running... sharing my temporary glee of finding a particular book only to have Trish Ledoux say how easy it would be to find in Japan..
Hm, the Nostalgia is getting a bit strong. Anyways..

I do not, I believe, have any item from my original "old" collections. However certain items have their descendants there ... better copies of some of the first shows I watched are there.

I could now open up irc and/or torrent and probably get everything I ever tried to get on a small hard drive.

Anyway. So, did I overshare? =)
-R
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

usamimi wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:02 am
Pioneer/Geneon released those in the US years ago. You can probably find used copies for cheap on E-bay.
The old Pioneer/Geneon DVD releases are actually still going for a lot on the second-hand market because people who grew up with them want those old dubs. A glance on eBay shows people still asking for $100+ for the DVD Movie box, or around $40+ for just the R & S movies, with the SuperS movie around $20+. Amazon seems to want more, as usual.
Was Geneon/Pioneer's dub their own dub or was that the Cloverwing dub from S and SuperS TV? Or was it the DIC dub? I had the subbed copies of the movies.

I had a decent sized tape collection but I wouldn't consider anything I had to be especially rare - one thing I can think of might be (a/some) Kenshin TV special(s) I don't recall being in the DVD releases. I've still got most of it, boxed up, and it's one of the last things I need to get sorted. I got into LDs really big ten or twelve years ago because they were dirt cheap but prices again are usually too much for what I am willing to spend. I still look for them but I find myself buying much more sporadically. Again, I don't know that I have anything very rare.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

runesaint wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:35 pm I remember worrying when I would call Laser Perceptions on a pay phone and he would immediately recognize my voice and address me by name... Nikaku Animart.. )
I thought that name sounded familiar, because I have a TON of old ANIMAG/Animerica issues that you used to advertise on back in the day:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3yN9ZmSiTZc/V ... an0053.jpg
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:31 am
usamimi wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:02 am

Was Geneon/Pioneer's dub their own dub or was that the Cloverwing dub from S and SuperS TV? Or was it the DIC dub? I had the subbed copies of the movies.
They used the DIC dub actors, as they came out before Cloverway did the S dub, iirc!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

when I put that Sailor Moon SuperS piece up at Let's Anime, I had to dig up some images because I gave the DVD box away to my god-daughter who was about 11, and I figure she'd get some enjoyment out of it. Anyway the secondary market prices for those DVD sets are kind of nuts, and it makes me wish I'd bought a few back when they were on clearance to re-sell at the garage sale events at crazy markups.

speaking to what Runesaint said, we had a few Japanese grocery stores that rented videos in our area, and that was the source of a lot of our off-air Japanese TV in the late 80s. One friend even copied his Samurai Troopers LD box onto VHS so they could rent it, so things kind of went full circle.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

davemerrill wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:07 am when I put that Sailor Moon SuperS piece up at Let's Anime, I had to dig up some images because I gave the DVD box away to my god-daughter who was about 11, and I figure she'd get some enjoyment out of it. Anyway the secondary market prices for those DVD sets are kind of nuts, and it makes me wish I'd bought a few back when they were on clearance to re-sell at the garage sale events at crazy markups.

speaking to what Runesaint said, we had a few Japanese grocery stores that rented videos in our area, and that was the source of a lot of our off-air Japanese TV in the late 80s. One friend even copied his Samurai Troopers LD box onto VHS so they could rent it, so things kind of went full circle.
I know the ADV Sailor Moon sets went up in price like crazy a few years after they were released, since they were quickly OOP as soon as they hit the market. I kinda wish I owned those sets if I knew what they turned out to be (but I didn't want my other nerdy friends to know I owned any Sailor Moon since I was the Gundam expert guy and thus should live my life that way).

I believe there's an asian store in Cary NC that still rents/sells import vhs/dvd of anime. I heard about this place for years before I went in there and bought dollar bootlegs of the Zeta Gundam movie 1 and Oldboy on VHS for the sure whim that I could get these dirt cheap. They had VHS clamshells of the BGC 2040 series and GaoGaiGar that I believe they weren't selling at the time. I gotta wonder if they're still in that store, chances are they might be :lol: .
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Well, since my last visit I've had more time to cap a lot of Toei shows with good audio from the original broadcasts, including at least 20 episodes of one show that no one (apparently) on this side of the ocean has anymore. I'm sure most people can figure out that one. But I've also dug out a lot of other series from 1984 - 1996 including several that had no English language release. I've found out I can adjust the tape path of both VHS and Betamax decks to play back the tapes that have poor tracking but I need to use an oscilloscope to set them up. Soon on that project. But I also have a big box of flaked tapes as well that will require tape baking to possibly recover the contents. More things to learn. Can anyone tell me definitively if the Sailor Moon TV series has good audio from the Cinetape masters? I have original recordings of the series but I'm uncertain if they are ones to keep for the audio. If it was transferred to LD back in the day, they probably kept the audio masters. Unfortunately, most of their other product like Dragon Ball, Hokuto no Ken, St. Seiya, Kamen no Ninja Aka Kage, Sakigake Otoku Juku, etc. did not fare so well. That's why fans are looking for series like that to match the broadcast audio with the DVD or Blu Ray video. The equipment at least for VHS/SVHS is easy to find in workable condition. Betamaxes though are tough. Most on eBay have problems that can only be fixed through massive restoration including replacing the aging capacitors, belts, idler tires and other rubber parts, etc. Too much for these tired old eyes. There are good videos from techs on YouTube on fixing these problems but they are not for the faint of heart. It's much easier to just buy the restored units from sellers in the US. Alas, I have found no one in Canada is doing this. I have 3 Beta Hifi decks now but only one was a restored unit. One of the others was shipped by Fedex but they dropped it in transit and broke something internally and it's beyond my skill to take it apart and fix whatever ails this deck. The third deck was given to me by a friend but it refuses to track tapes so i figure there is a failed component in the tape tracking section or else it just needs some TLC to get it back into shape. There are recycle events held in many cities. That's a good time to see if any good workable decks show up for either format. Can't hurt to look and ask. Other than that, pawn shops (mostly for DVD recorders these days), Salvation Army and value Village (in Canada), appliance and furniture recyclers, Kijiji, etc. are your best bet. Try to take a tape with you and see if it will track in the deck before putting money on it though. I found my lasy Super VHS deck through a furniture recycler for $15 that works great. Ditto with the last 2 DVD recorders I found (Panasonic and Sony) for $10 and $15 respectively. Happy hunting...
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I picked up a Super Beta cheap at the Value Village, mostly for the heck of it. It needs work, and it's been on the far end of my "to do" list for a while, but I always hoped I'd get it operational. From what you're telling me _D_, the prospects of getting it repaired here in Canada don't look great. Oh well. I have upgraded most - heck, *all* of what I had on Beta anyways. :(