What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by runesaint »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:39 pm
I don't know if this deserves it's own thread or not but I am on the look out for Galaxy Express 999: Claire of Glass. My research says this was a TV special released in March of 1980 that was a re-cut of an episode from the TV series. It's something that I've mentioned in passing relating to a couple of panels I've run at various anime conventions but I don't have any scenes or clips from that special specifically. Anyone know if this was released at all or just a tape-trading days relic?
I know I have this sitting around somewhere.. if you have not gotten a response already I will go look around and see what I have.
Fvlminatvs
Anime Fan Since: 1981

Post by Fvlminatvs »

I figured this thread needs a bit of a shot in the arm every so often.

I just finished watching Jubei-chan and the new Junji Ito Collection. I've got the last five or so episodes to go on Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. And I'm also watching the remake of Space Battleship Yamato.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I dunno if anyone's been watching MegaloBox, aka the new anime they made for the Ashita no Joe 50th anniversary, but I've been REALLY enjoying it. Anyone else seen it? :D
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Fvlminatvs
Anime Fan Since: 1981

Post by Fvlminatvs »

usamimi wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:58 pm I dunno if anyone's been watching MegaloBox, aka the new anime they made for the Ashita no Joe 50th anniversary, but I've been REALLY enjoying it. Anyone else seen it? :D
Yep. I'm liking it. I've never seen Ashita no Joe so I'm taking pains to avoid spoilers because I want to see it.

I'm also watching Saint Seiya on Crunchyroll and I'm digging it. It's opening and overall style and design scream 1980s HAIR METAL, even if most of the show's score doesn't really feel it (except for the opening theme).

I started rewatching Bubblegum Crisis as well.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

So far in MegaloBox, there's no "spoilers" for Ashita no Joe really, since it's basically only taking elements from the original and making it's own cool new thing. If you're interested in seeing it now though, Discotek's new bluray of the Ashita no Joe movie isn't a bad starting point: https://amzn.to/2jNajI4
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Post by karageko »

MegaloBox has been excellent so far (and was my predicted personal favorite among shows I'm following this season). Also yeah you don't need to worry about spoilers for Ashita no Joe, although having seen Ashita no Joe first will certainly make the visual homages leap out at you.
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

I've been watching the new Cardcaptor Sakura series despite really hating the character designs. I feel like I need to report myself to the police for child endangerment every time I look at Yukito and Touya. Hard to imagine that, despite the characters now being in college in this series, they look years younger than their original anime predecessors. That's really been my major complaint on the new series, and most of Tomoyo's new costumes are just too frilly (though Froggy Raincoat was adorbs and I would totes wear that as a grown woman in public).

It's good to see Kero and Suppi back. Really missed my favorite sugar addict, Suppi.
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

I just finished up the Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki OVA (the one originally released between 2003-2005). I have some mixed feelings about it and never felt it captured the magic of the '90s OVA. There just seemed to be so many new characters introduced, and at such a rapid fire rate, that my interest started to wane. I did manage to finish it, but it's not one I'll likely revisit again. Within the next month or so I'll have to re-watch Tenchi Universe and see how that holds up. I remember really liking it when I first watched the series years back, so my fingers are crossed that it still holds some of that charm.

Last week I also started One Punch Man, which is surprisingly funny (and the animation is impressive too). Only four episodes in so far, but it's a humorous parody of the superhero genre.

And, lastly, this past weekend I watched Batman Ninja. The initial trailers looked iffy, but the film turned out fantastic. I loved many of the revamped anime-style character designs and--most of all--it was fun, which is what most comic book based properties should be. It's far different from any of the previous DC animated films, and all the better for it.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I've heard good things about Batman Ninja, which surprised me since most of the direct-to-video Batman things have been pretty questionable over the years. I may have to check it out myself!

Oh, I forgot to mention earlier, but I've also been watching a short anime this season called "Space Battleship Tiramisu", which is like a 10-min each ep parody of real robot/sci-fi drama anime. It's really silly, which is a nice pallet cleanser after the heavy stuff I've been watching.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

Re-watched Dagger of Kamui recently, mostly because I was missing the soundtrack. (^_^) Is there any other anime out there with a similar sound? I heard that Legend of the Millennium Dragon in 2011 brought together a bunch of the music staff from Dagger of Kamui; is there anything else out there?
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?