URUSEI YATSURA NEW ENGLISH RELEASE IN 2019!

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: URUSEI YATSURA NEW ENGLISH RELEASE IN 2019!

Post by usamimi »

davemerrill wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:00 pm this is 100% great. I'm looking forward to a non-flipped, non-Gerard Jones-ified edition that might just give us everything in order, not bits and pieces from here and there. And if this means Maison Ikkoku might get back in print, and if it also means we get UY and MI back in some kind of video release, that's even better.
YES, same. I still have those old Viz flipped graphic novels, but I CANNOT WAIT for nice omnibus editions with a fresh translation. The Ranma ones were pretty great so I'm looking forward to seeing how these new UY editions will turn out.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Post by Fireminer »

Say, how big was Rumiko in the United States before Inuyasha was released there? I've just heard usamimi's podcast talking about Urusei Yatsura, and it seemed to me that she was big among the fans in the early 90s.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Fireminer wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:40 am Say, how big was Rumiko in the United States before Inuyasha was released there? I've just heard usamimi's podcast talking about Urusei Yatsura, and it seemed to me that she was big among the fans in the early 90s.
She was one of the MOST popular artists among fans in the 90s, if not THE most. 90% of anime fans back then were into one or more of her titles, usually Ranma 1/2. That was Viz's flagship title for years, outselling everything by a landslide. Inuyasha took that crown after it started airing on TV, though--and has stayed in fandom's collective consciousness due to how long reruns of it ran on TV, probably. :lol:
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Post by Fireminer »

usamimi wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:36 am She was one of the MOST popular artists among fans in the 90s, if not THE most. 90% of anime fans back then were into one or more of her titles, usually Ranma 1/2. That was Viz's flagship title for years, outselling everything by a landslide. Inuyasha took that crown after it started airing on TV, though--and has stayed in fandom's collective consciousness due to how long reruns of it ran on TV, probably. :lol:
A different thing happened in my country. Ranma 1/2 was big, but it missed the huge manga boom in the mid-1990s because it was first translated a few years earlier. It was only after Inu Yasha became hugely popular that people began going back to Ranma 1/2.

Also, is this just me, or when I read Ranma 1/2 and Rin-ne, I detected a noticeable difference between the faces; but the difference became less prononced between their anime adaptations.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

That makes sense. Animators have to rush to draw their cuts for the episodes, which means sometimes faces all start looking similar. Especially if it's in a rather simple style like Ranma. Takahashi was good about making each character look rather distinct, but that gets a bit lost in animated TV shows sometimes.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Looks like Rightstuf has vol 1 up for pre-order now! Feb 19, 2019 release, over 400 pages. http://shrsl.com/19212
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Amazon also has preorders now, if you prefer there: https://amzn.to/2PMNBBt They also added front/back cover art!
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

So excited! I pre-ordered mine. I was touched they also put a UK price on the back haha. Serious business! I heard rumours there were problems with UK distribution for some UK titles in the iNu Yasha days so this covers that angle at least!

I have the 4 Japanese hybrid translated books (out of synch chapters translated for learners of English) and numerous iterations of the original English translations, but looking forward to these. I hope they include the colour pages too. Did they do that for Ranma, anyone know?
Fireminer wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:32 am Also, is this just me, or when I read Ranma 1/2 and Rin-ne, I detected a noticeable difference between the faces; but the difference became less prononced between their anime adaptations.
If I have interpreted this post correctly!... So back in the day, anime character designers re-interpreted manga artists' into their own style, presumably to make it easier for the animators? (I think the 80s and 90s there was sort of an anime house style. Akemi Takada drew characters adapted for animation one way, and in her pastel art/manual form, another.) However from Inu Yasha days the anime character designer took more care replicating the source manga style a bit more accurately.

FWIW Gokinjou Monogatari was the first anime I watched where the character design was as close to the source manga as possible.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I don't have all of Ranma yet, but so far no color pages in the ones I have? So I don't think so. They're probably gonna publish these as cheaply as possible, in case they don't sell all that well. But fingers crossed they do!!
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Reminder that Vol 1 of UY is coming out sooooooon! They already have preorders for Vol 2 up as well on Rightstuf: http://shrsl.com/1f8cl and Amazon: https://amzn.to/2t1oUUO