I forgot about the Urusei Yatsura movies...

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
TheMidnightSnack
Anime Fan Since: 2016

I forgot about the Urusei Yatsura movies...

Post by TheMidnightSnack »

I've been watching Urusei Yatsura on and off for the past couple months, and I've taken a liking to it. As of now, I've made it up to the 120th episode. I just remembered that there are some really good movies (or so I've heard) I need to watch.

I just need to ask some anime veterans - which movies should I watch up to this point that won't affect the storyline for me?
I want to make sure I'm not skipping over anything important - but with this show, it's probably not likely. :D
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: I forgot about the Urusei Yatsura movies...

Post by DKop »

From what i've understood, Beautiful Dreamer is its own thing and anyone can watch it and enjoy it. That's based on me only seeing the first two films and not seeing jack on the TV series yet. I can't speak for the other films, but the first one goes on the impression that you need to know something of the show to understand the characters.
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Post by karageko »

There's not really that much storyline to be affected in the UY TV series. If you really want to play it safe, just look at the original date of release and don't watch anything that came out after whatever TV series episode you're on (this is what I did). I can't recall anything that would have significantly affected the TV series. While I have watched all the animated UY, there are bigger fans here than me so I'll defer to them.
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

The movies and OVAs are kind of their own stories and don't really have "spoilers" for anything, other than maybe depending on how far you are in the TV show, you might encounter a character you haven't met in the show yet? So honestly you can watch any of them without it effecting how you watch the show. (In fact, several of them are much more "serious" than the overall tone of the TV series, so if you want something less wacky, it changes things up a bit!)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

DKop wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:22 am From what i've understood, Beautiful Dreamer is its own thing and anyone can watch it and enjoy it. That's based on me only seeing the first two films and not seeing jack on the TV series yet. I can't speak for the other films, but the first one goes on the impression that you need to know something of the show to understand the characters.
It's been a while since I've watched any of the films but as I recall, the first film pretty much has a summary of the tag game that engages Lum and Ataru and that's really all one needs to know of the TV series or manga to get involved in an UY story.

Piling on what a lot of other folks have said about the films but they are all their own reasonable stand-alone thing. Even the final 10th Anniversary film, Always My Darling, doesn't contain any spoilers to my recollection.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
TheMidnightSnack
Anime Fan Since: 2016

Post by TheMidnightSnack »

Thanks for the info! I've got my weekend cut out for me now...