anime hell 60s show

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

anime hell 60s show

Post by davemerrill »

I'm doing this event next week at Eyesore in Toronto. Thankfully I'm not doing it THIS week because it's supposed to be hella cold and snowing out there tonight. Anyway, it's hands down the most old-school, deep-cut general public event I've ever done in terms of showing cartoons to people, and I am very curious as to how it's going to turn out. I've done two other Anime Hell screenings at Eyesore; the first was a general "funny short clips" Anime Hell thing, and the second involved three 1980s OVAs - both of those have some kind of built in hook, especially the 80s show. But the anime of the 1960s is so desperately NOT COOL, at least in the eyes of the general public of 2019, that I honestly have no idea what the reception is going to be like. Wish me luck!
all_elements3.jpg
all_elements3.jpg (345.93 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: anime hell 60s show

Post by Drew_Sutton »

How did it go?
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

It went OK, didn't draw the standing room only crowds of previous Anime Hell events at Eyesore. There was a Saturday Morning Cartoon screening that day at the Royal Theater earlier in the day, and that took out some of the audience, who OD'd on milk and cereal (seriously). The weather wasn't great, either. Older anime is always a tough sell. Anyway, enough people showed up to pay for the room, and everyone who came seemed to have a good time.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Glad it went well; I wondered if the weather would have hurt attendance but glad that it didn't seem to hurt it too much.
davemerrill wrote:There was a Saturday Morning Cartoon screening that day at the Royal Theater earlier in the day, and that took out some of the audience, who OD'd on milk and cereal (seriously).
Oh man, I can picture it now!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.