Alita: Battle Angel release..

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Alita: Battle Angel release..

Post by runesaint »

(I know, I know, it's Gunnm, and her name is Gally..anyway)
I seem to keep getting articles popping up on how it is doomed to failure, that it will never get to $25 million, etcetera. I am actually impressed by how many articles are saying how badly it will do when it comes out next week.
On the other hand... I had was putting up a youtube video for my class and a minute segment out of alita was the 'commercial' so I let it play out. One girl in particular said it looked great and wanted to see it.... ... until the clip ended and the name of the movie was revealed. At that point she just sat back and said 'oh, never mind'.
I at least hope to go see it with my wife, as she was into 'Alita' before I was. Unfortunately, she won't re-read it until it has an ending, and that keeps not happening (she hasn't even seen any of the 'Last Order' stuff)
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Re: Alita: Battle Angel release..

Post by karageko »

runesaint wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:29 am One girl in particular said it looked great and wanted to see it.... ... until the clip ended and the name of the movie was revealed. At that point she just sat back and said 'oh, never mind'.
I'm kinda confused as to why the name would be that big of a turn off that she changed her mind. It's no "I want to eat your pancreas."
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

It's going to make its money overseas, and the past week or so there's been promotion for it on TV (such as the Toonami block). All I know is I'll use Alita as my V-Day date this year, so i'm looking forward to seeing it. I don't have any issues on the Rodriguez films ive seen from him, so I'm pretty confident I'll enjoy it.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

It's funny that people have been saying for weeks it was doomed to fail when today I see this article claiming it's on track to fight for the #1 spot this weekend: https://deadline.com/2019/02/alita-happ ... 202555046/

Of course, being #1 over the weekend doesn't necessarily mean it'll make boatloads of money, but still. It seems to be doing at least a little better than what people initially thought (and it's not even out nationwide yet).
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Moonsaber
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by Moonsaber »

There seemed to be a mad rush for critics to poo on it.

Topped the box office, no problem, this weekend. 4 Day weekend gross in the USA of a bit over 34 Million. It's expected to be a real smash overseas.

I saw it Thursday night in normal vision, and Saturday in 3D. So far.
Is there such a thing as Too Much Anime?
DKop

Post by DKop »

I know the manga boxset on Amazon is sold out as of this post, so this got people buying the manga to read. I got the first vol on kindle for free as a promotion so I can kinda compare the manga to the scenes in the movie and what they changed, which if follows along pretty well and even taking bits from the next volume regarding the Motorball sport.

According to Box Office Mojo, the film did poorly for Fox for a weekend Presidents Day weekend, but the fact that it made the amount it did, being number one that weekend, and even being freggin made in the first place to me is an achievement of its own. It's going to make a bulk of its money overseas and I hope its enough for a sequel to be made, but well see. I mean, those Resident Evil films are garbage but there's 6 or 7 of them at this point, so they do make money.
llj

Post by llj »

The general consensus I've heard is that it's not boring, but generally a shallow and messy action movie. Which is about the best you could have expected. It's a shame Cameron couldn't direct this, would have liked to see how he would have done it. Although a 3-4 hour Alita might have been a little much.
DKop

Post by DKop »

llj wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:16 am The general consensus I've heard is that it's not boring, but generally a shallow and messy action movie. Which is about the best you could have expected. It's a shame Cameron couldn't direct this, would have liked to see how he would have done it. Although a 3-4 hour Alita might have been a little much.
I thought it was a pretty solid movie, and there wasn't the level of backlash against it like Ghost in the Shell had. I'm sure Cameron could've made the film better, but I really enjoyed what Rodriguiez did to the movie, and I had no issues with it.
llj

Post by llj »

Most people I know who saw it (who aren't anime/manga fans whatsoever) seemed to like it. I still haven't watched it yet, though, life and money and all that.
Elytron Frass
Anime Fan Since: 1997

Post by Elytron Frass »

Really enjoyed the film adaptation (minus a few brief, forgivable scenes). I do hope for a sequel. Just one would be fine - they can adapt it more liberally to give it a better/tighter conclusion than the manga had. Biggest disappointment is that the film wasn't successful enough to inspire an HD rescue for the amazing OVA.

If you know nothing of the manga, the OVA feels like a self-contained cyberpunk tragedy. I just can't rewatch it enough. Especially like how it focuses on the punk aspect (low living, on the gray/opposite side of the law), of cyberpunk - unlike most cyberpunk anime/films which focus on law enforcement.