pages from C/FO Magazine V2 #3

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Re: pages from C/FO Magazine V2 #3

Post by mbanu »

davemerrill wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:13 am by the way, if you want to see what a C/FO meeting looked like in 1982, check this out: https://youtu.be/jB5tvw2rFlU
Cue the Raiders of the Lost Ark music -- this is a fantastic find!
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Post by Fireminer »

davemerrill wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:52 am I published a lot of fanzines and self-published comics in the 1980s. I edited the C/FO Atlanta newsletter for about two years, put out three issues of the anime zine "Oxygen Destroyer" in the late 1980s, made two Prince Planet / 60s anime zines, put together two issues of the national C/FO magazine (which were awful), and submitted art and articles to the EDC zine, various C/FO zines, and Anime Hasshin's newsletter "The Rose."

I wrote all of and drew 95% of the Ozone Commandos comics. Matt Murray drew some backgrounds and a few splash pages, and a few other friends pitched in and pencilled or inked a panel here and there.

http://cornponeflicks.org/ozcintro.html

Matt and CB wrote the film version of Ozone Commandos loosely based on the comic book, and had I known they were going to try and make a movie out of it, I would have changed things considerably.

Ed Hill wrote and penciled a 12 page segment of the sequel, "Ozone Commandos Go To Hell," Matt did some backgrounds, Shaindle Minuk penciled two pages, and everything else is all my work.

http://misterkitty.org/comics/ozc/ozcintro.html

The print Let's Anime started in 1991 and pretty much sucked up all of my writing about anime energy from then until 2000.
Can you please give me a short story about how did Let's Anime started? Why did it move from being a paperback publication to an online blog?
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

the basic Let's Anime story is that in 1991 we started having regular anime club meetings in Atlanta again, with a new anime club that was not affiliated with any other organization. I decided that this club should have a publication, and that was Let's Anime. After a few issues, Let's Anime became less of a club fanzine and more of a general anime fanzine. I published 12 issues between 1991 and 1999. I would sell them at club meetings, conventions, and through the mail.

As the 90s went on I got more involved with the AWA convention and that took up most of the free time I had, so I quit doing the print Let's Anime.

from 1999 until about 2005 I'd been writing about anime at Mike Toole's "Anime Jump" website, doing the occasional freelance article for Otaku USA, and the odd review here and there. Anime Jump crashed in 2005, and I was left without a real outlet for my anime writing. I had moved away from Atlanta and wasn't running AWA any more, so I figured I'd bring Let's Anime back as a blog.

I like print zines, but editing and printing and selling them is a pain. With a blog, I can put everything together, publish it, and thousands of people can read it without me having to lift a finger.
Fireminer

Post by Fireminer »

Thanks you, Dave, for patiently answering my question.

And speaking of Mike Toole, everyone knows his name, but I can not find anything about what he did in the 1990s.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

The only thing im aware of is that he did send off a mail to an issue of Animerica in the 90's. I'm pretty sure its listed on my site somewhere on one of my Animerica posts if you look through the images, but im not sure which one. You're welcome to look.

http://animeofyesteryear.blogspot.com/s ... /Animerica
Fireminer

Post by Fireminer »

Can I ask you some questions, Dave?

- Did Joe Vecchio immediately moved to Atlanta and became your acquaintance after he finished his tour in Japan?

- Could you tell me about Llyod Carter? Did he help you, Matt Murray, and Joe Vecchio to create Anime Weekend Atlanta? What he had been doing in the fandom before then?

- In an interview with Anime World Order, Joe mentioned that Matt was sued by the organizers of Magnum Opus Con. Was this true?

- Also from the same interview, was there any affiliation between "Danger Woman" Betsy Goodrich and anime?
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Hey Fire, which episode of Anime World Order are you referring too, because I wouldn't mind listening to this episode. Maybe I have and I can't remember.
Fireminer

Post by Fireminer »

DKop wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:19 pm Hey Fire, which episode of Anime World Order are you referring too, because I wouldn't mind listening to this episode. Maybe I have and I can't remember.
Here is it: https://www.awopodcast.com/2007/01/anim ... nting.html
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Fireminer wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:19 am Can I ask you some questions, Dave?

- Did Joe Vecchio immediately moved to Atlanta and became your acquaintance after he finished his tour in Japan?

- Could you tell me about Llyod Carter? Did he help you, Matt Murray, and Joe Vecchio to create Anime Weekend Atlanta? What he had been doing in the fandom before then?

- In an interview with Anime World Order, Joe mentioned that Matt was sued by the organizers of Magnum Opus Con. Was this true?

- Also from the same interview, was there any affiliation between "Danger Woman" Betsy Goodrich and anime?
here are some answers:

1. I don't know Vecchio's exact service details. He moved to Atlanta from Florida; in Florida he'd been involved in the Orlando club JACO, and a JACO member named Daric had earlier moved to Atlanta. Joe later moved to Atlanta and roomed with Daric.

2. Joe, along with Lloyd Carter and Stan Dahlin and Daric and several other people, was a member of the Atlanta anime club "Anime X". In 1994 Daric held a party at his place and a lot of anime fans showed up, and we threw a different party later in the year that a lot of different anime fans came to, and we all figured that if we held a convention we could probably convince enough people to attend. That's how we started AWA. Lloyd Carter and myself and Joe were the three administrators of AWA when it began. Joe stepped down as an administrator in the late 1990s and Stan Dahlin took his place. Matt Murray was on staff for AWA but was not a director or an administrator.

3. You can read about Matt's adventures with the organizers of Magnum Opus Con here: http://cornponeflicks.org/kroniesmain.html

4. I don't know of any connection between Betsy Goodrich and anime, other than anime being something she's watched.
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

Looks like you might as well start penning 'waga seishun no Cornpone' Dave. :)