Favorite holiday-themed anime?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Favorite holiday-themed anime?

Post by mbanu »

I figured it's the right time to ask. (^_^) Anyone have any one-off favorites (films, OAVs, etc.) or series specials that people might dig if they weren't up-to-date on the rest of the series?
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Favorite holiday-themed anime?

Post by DKop »

Cobra the Animation takes place during Christmas, since Cobra seems half drunk off his rocker the first couple of episodes and just tells everyone "MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

Also Episode 44 of Brave Exkaiser has them fighting a giant Santa Clause, great holiday episode!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Gah, this is super late (I've been so busy I haven't been checking the forum as often. Sorry, folks!) but a few of my favorite anime Christmas episodes include:

Ranma 1/2 "Tendo Family Christmas Scramble"
Urusei Yatsura "Pitter-Patter Christmas Eve"
Oh My Goddess OVA "Evergreen Holy Night" and "For the love of Goddess"
Lupin III part 2 “Christmas at Tiffany’s”
Kimagure Orange Road “Kyosuke Timetrips! The Third Christmas”
Dr Slump: Arale-chan “Christmas Day Hurts"

The Sailor Moon S movie is also something that takes place around Christmas, as is Gundam War in the Pocket and Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz :lol:

And of course, Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Captain_EO
Anime Fan Since: 2002

Post by Captain_EO »

usamimi wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:41 am Gah, this is super late (I've been so busy I haven't been checking the forum as often. Sorry, folks!) but a few of my favorite anime Christmas episodes include:

Ranma 1/2 "Tendo Family Christmas Scramble"
Urusei Yatsura "Pitter-Patter Christmas Eve"
Oh My Goddess OVA "Evergreen Holy Night" and "For the love of Goddess"
Lupin III part 2 “Christmas at Tiffany’s”
Kimagure Orange Road “Kyosuke Timetrips! The Third Christmas”
Dr Slump: Arale-chan “Christmas Day Hurts"

The Sailor Moon S movie is also something that takes place around Christmas, as is Gundam War in the Pocket and Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz :lol:

And of course, Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers!
You pretty much hit the nail on the head here. I like those Urusei and KOR episodes in particular, with the former showing a surprisingly heart-warming Ataru, and the latter making fun use of a time loop.

I also love Satoshi Kon's work, but one film of his I haven't seen is Tokyo Godfathers... maybe that can be a good way to break in the New Year, now that Christmas has passed! :P
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Tokyo Godfathers kinda goes into New Years so it's still appropriate! :mrgreen: (Also it's on Crackle to watch for free legally! https://www.crackle.com/watch/tokyo-godfathers
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

One of my favorites is episode 19 of Kobato. It's always my go-to episode to watch every Christmas (well...for me, January 6 because I celebrate the Italian holiday instead). Definitely would recommend if you need a visit from the onion ninjas.

Also, the background artwork for the Christmas market portion of the episode was really well done. The background artists used pictures they found on blogs online and made them into the actual backgrounds for the episode.
llj

Post by llj »

Dragging this up again. I rewatched Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya again and i still think it’s one of the best anime movies of the 2000s. And a damn fine Christmas movie. I’m not even this huge Haruhi fan overall. But the movie does so many things right in paying off everything that happened before it, as well as standing fairly well on its own as an anime take on It’s a Wonderful Life.
George W

Post by George W »

It's not really anime, but....

...The Tick's Christmas Special is hard to beat.

"It's a YULE TIDE!"
runesaint

Post by runesaint »

Since it said 'Holiday' and not 'Christmas'.... I would like to offer the Halloween episode of Dirty Pair ^_^ It's just fun =)
Elytron Frass
Anime Fan Since: 1997

Post by Elytron Frass »

rewatched the Karas ovas recently, the first ep starts around x-mas season.
but favorite...that coincides with a holiday...? Maybe Blood the Last Vampire (takes place on the eve of an annual Halloween party)