Space Battleship Yamato: Making Of An Anime Legend

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Space Battleship Yamato: Making Of An Anime Legend

Post by davemerrill »

Back in 2005 when this Yamato documentary DVD was released, I wrote a review of it for the Anime Jump website. Flash forward a few years and I decided to dust off this review and present it again, but I wound up re-writing the thing and it's more of an overview of how Star Blazers fared in the US market and what happened, or didn't happen, with the series once it was pulled from syndication.

http://letsanime.blogspot.com/2019/12/t ... anime.html

Tim continues to research Yamato on his ourstarblazers.com website, but certainly the documentary he assembled is a unique beast - I haven't seen anything else quite like it.
titlescreen.jpg
titlescreen.jpg (93.69 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Space Battleship Yamato: Making Of An Anime Legend

Post by DKop »

I bought that a couple of years ago and it is a solid documentary. I guess my only issue with it is the fact that I wish it dove more into the American fandom side of Yamato/Star Blazers since it was more focused on the Japanese side, which makes more sense. I'm not sure if Tim didn't have enough material on the western side of fandom when this was made but had an abundant amount of information on fandom from the material from Japan. This is a solid look on Yamato impact culturally if anyone really wants to know how influential Yamato is.