C/FO New York flyer (July 1980)

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
AnEccentricArchivist
Anime Fan Since: 2008-2009?

C/FO New York flyer (July 1980)

Post by AnEccentricArchivist »

Well, I guess I'll start off with sharing the first item from the older parts of my anime collection. As I told you guys in my introduction, I managed to get ahold of some C/FO flyers, specifically one from the New York chapter, and about around a from the Santa Barbara chapter. (If I recall correctly, the price for the New York one was around $24, while the others were about $55.) I haven't been able to scan all of the ones from the Santa Barbara mainly due to having my scanner break a few days ago, but I've ordered another one, and I hope it'll be here soon. Anyway, I'll get right to the point. Here's the flyer in all of it's former glory:
Attachments
Cartoon Fantasy Organization New York (1).jpg
Cartoon Fantasy Organization New York (1).jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 2964 times
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: C/FO New York flyer (July 1980)

Post by davemerrill »

the going rate for an anime club flyer is $24??? Holy cow.
AnEccentricArchivist

davemerrill wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:55 am the going rate for an anime club flyer is $24??? Holy cow.
I can't really blame the seller for that price tag. I mean, how often do you happen to come across someone who's selling an vintage anime club flyer online? Either way, there's no doubt that spending all that money was worth it.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

davemerrill wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:55 am the going rate for an anime club flyer is $24??? Holy cow.
I think maybe "the going rate for a C/FO New York flyer from when the club was 5 months old" is $24. The U.S. anime fandom scene in 1980 was very different; no Starblazers Fan Club, no EDC, not even a C/FO Philadelphia, just C/FO LA and C/FO NY. I'm not too terribly familiar, but I think you could make a good argument for C/FO New York as being at the root of organized East Coast anime fandom.
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

I think also there is the scale of the modern audience; as an example, the anime forum on Reddit has 1,274,529 members -- that's more than the entire population of the Bronx in 1980! C/FO New York was just a handful of people in 1980, and flyers were never meant to be kept.
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

I'm more amazed that the paper is still a brilliant white color. Most copy paper discolors quickly due multiple factors such as paper quality, absorption of moisture/pollutants, light damage, etc. So either the original owner popped this into some mylar with some acid free paper to absorb the chemicals early on or this is an nth copy.

I'm more inclined to believe that this is a more recent copy from a copy. Even after protecting the paper stuff that I own in acid free bags and acid free paper, some of them have yellowed slightly over the decade+ that they've been in my possession, so I'm skeptical that this exact sheet was handed out in the 1980s.
AnEccentricArchivist

Akage wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:59 am I'm more amazed that the paper is still a brilliant white color. Most copy paper discolors quickly due multiple factors such as paper quality, absorption of moisture/pollutants, light damage, etc. So either the original owner popped this into some mylar with some acid free paper to absorb the chemicals early on or this is an nth copy.

I'm more inclined to believe that this is a more recent copy from a copy. Even after protecting the paper stuff that I own in acid free bags and acid free paper, some of them have yellowed slightly over the decade+ that they've been in my possession, so I'm skeptical that this exact sheet was handed out in the 1980s.
If that's the case, I honestly wouldn't be too upset about it.