The Anime Nostalgia Podcast & Blog

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: The Anime Nostalgia Podcast & Blog

Post by usamimi »

Yeah that definitely makes sense!

I haven't done an episode on Trigun yet, but I do want to at some point. (The onslaught of Vash cosplayers in the late 90s/early 00s isn't easily forgettable! :lol: ) Excel Saga, I dunno...I'm almost afraid to revisit that one, as I'm not sure how well its aged, lol.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
MaxaMillion
Anime Fan Since: 2004

Post by MaxaMillion »

Just finished your "They were Eleven" podcast. I thought I was the only one who knew this movie existed. It really is a delightful movie.I loved it for the bright, colorful(literally) characters in contrast to the dark 70s space theme that I've also adored in "Space Cobra." It would be absolutely amazing if they ever re-release this again and released merchandise for this movie. I can only dream but I would want a Frol T-shirt so badly. I didn't know there was subtle differences in the movie compared to the manga. I really appreciated you got to talk about comparing the two.

I also love how you talked about Moto Hagio and the shojo manga she created. I found out about her from my library reading "A Drunken Dream and Other Stories" and "To Terra..." To Terra... is especially a fascinating read because to its core it is a shonen manga, but drawn in shojo bubbly, romance art style. You can keep the dialogue and characters while changing it to a "Shonen Jump" series art direction and you wouldn't tell the difference. "A Drunken Dream and Other Stories" is also one I highly recommend to read, its a one volume manga with a collection of short stories.

Final note, good job on the new intro music for your podcast episode.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Glad you enjoyed the episode! I'm glad the movie is still fondly remembered by some. I really would love it if we could get a rerelease of it somehow...it's a damn shame it's out of print. I'd kill for a nice, complete version of the Manga too!

Yeah Keiko Takemiya was one of those rare mangaka that did shonen as well as shoujo. One of the things about artists from the Year 24 Group is that they were so influential in their styling and layouts that many shounen artists started doing similar paneling, inspired by their work. So modern shounen actually has roots in shoujo, which I thought was interesting! I want to try to find some concrete interviews/comparisons that I can show as examples in the future.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

New podcast episode went up over the weekend! A short episode on spooky classic manga, just in time for Halloween! Plus bonus review of a NEW movie?? Gasp! :lol: http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2019 ... ep-80.html
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I'm part way through your Halloween episode but one thing got me - did you get new theme music? (I really dig it)
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yes! I debuted it a few episodes ago :mrgreen:
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

With all the thanksgiving hoopla I almost forgot to post this month's episode! http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2019 ... ep-81.html Happy turkey day, friends!
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Forgot to post it here, but the new End of the Year survey is up! If you're in the US, you could be randomly chosen for a fabulous prize just for filling it out! http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2019 ... again.html
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

2019 Year in Review episode is up!! Happy new year, everyone! https://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/201 ... -2019.html
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Post by Fireminer »

usamimi wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:32 am 2019 Year in Review episode is up!! Happy new year, everyone! https://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/201 ... -2019.html
It is my second year following this podcast and the second times I listened to a Year in Review. I hope you will keep up the good work in the next year!

Say, have you done anything from Masami Kurumada? I am a huge fans of his work, and I heard that in Latin America and Southern Europe he has got an enormous following. Plus I think his works are technical breakthoughs in the history of shonen manga.