What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by llj »

Buncha shows:

Squid Girl--Finally getting around to this. Amusing little comedy show, not quite as frantic as I expected, but suitable for kids as far as I can tell.

Ancient Magus' Bride--Really enjoying what I've seen. Feels more like a European fantasy than your typical anime fantasy.

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side: Sword Oratoria--Generic anime fantasy show. Mildly enjoyed the first "Is it Wrong..." series, but this one is just super generic with very little in the way of surprising plot developments or character.

Lucky Star--Moe talking head comedy show. Has its moments of cleverness, was a pleasant time waster.
llj

Post by llj »

Barakamon--Nice, slim slice of life show. Nothing incredible here, just a satisfying time waster that never goes long enough or does anything bad enough to stumble. If you're an artist, you'll relate to the protagonist.

Galaxy Express 999 TV--Finally it's here. Discotek has really nice job with upscaling this and I can't see any future version topping this (judging by how Toei handles their own properties).
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:08 am One more who has started watching Eizouken. Like all of the characters but man, do I identify with Kanamori way too much...

I've also started watching Slam Dunk after years of not taking the chance, despite all of the recommendations I've had for it. Enjoying the series but the transfer (on Crunchyroll) looks like trash - I guess these are from the DVDs that Toei did themselves in the mid 2000s. Looks about as good as it would have watching the fansub tapes from the video store when it was first recommended to me :lol:. Also, the eye catch? Is the woman's English voice-over something they did for the DVDs or was that original to the show when it aired?
Ah Slam Dunk is so good!! Yeah, sadly that picture quality is the best we're gonna get in the US--especially since they've tried to release the series on DVD here TWICE and never managed to get it all out. :( It really depresses me, it's a great series that deserves better, but because of the crappy releases, no one buys it, so companies think we don't want it. UGH!! Maybe Discotek can rescue it someday...

The eyecatch was always in English like that, as far as I can remember! lol I think that's one thing that all English-speaking fans are always surprised about. :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj

Post by llj »

Darling in the Franxx--This seems to be a polarizing show. But as an all-out homage to Gainax's greatest hits it has its pleasures. It's like someone threw Evangelion, Gunbuster, Gurren Lagann with a dash of Urusei Yatsura and Eureka Seven in a blender and came out with Darling in the Franxx. I liked it, but I was less impressed by the beginning of the show than most fans were. I actually significantly preferred the 2nd half of the show over the 1st, but from what I see many fans prefer the 1st half.

The Morose Mononokean--Buddy comedy about exorcists. I enjoyed it, at least as a show that featured two bickering male characters that wasn't solely designed to tease yaoi.

Beautiful Bones--it's a show about a brilliant socially awkward osteologist who solves mysteries forensically (ok, she cheats a lot and displays superhuman knowledge as well). Isn't this basically like "Bones" with Emily Deschanel? I guess so!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I saw the first season of The Morose Mononokean and thought it was pretty good! Have you seen the second season? I keep forgetting to watch it since it was a while between the seasons and I kept forgetting about it...
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj

Post by llj »

I haven't seen the 2nd season yet. I'll get around to it eventually, though not right away as I'm basically fast-plowing through the last 4 years worth of shows I've been missing since I've been out of the loop for a while now and I'm in an anime binge mood lately.
llj

Post by llj »

Girls Und Panzer--It's definitely for a niche audience. I will say though, I appreciate that the show is heavier on the tank battles than the "cute girls doing cute things" stuff. For the most part it's a school sports show combined with a tactical warfare show. Clearly aimed more at military otaku. Worth watching if you're into that stuff.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

usamimi wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:12 am
Drew_Sutton wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:08 am One more who has started watching Eizouken. Like all of the characters but man, do I identify with Kanamori way too much...

I've also started watching Slam Dunk after years of not taking the chance, despite all of the recommendations I've had for it. Enjoying the series but the transfer (on Crunchyroll) looks like trash - I guess these are from the DVDs that Toei did themselves in the mid 2000s. Looks about as good as it would have watching the fansub tapes from the video store when it was first recommended to me :lol:. Also, the eye catch? Is the woman's English voice-over something they did for the DVDs or was that original to the show when it aired?
Ah Slam Dunk is so good!! Yeah, sadly that picture quality is the best we're gonna get in the US--especially since they've tried to release the series on DVD here TWICE and never managed to get it all out. :( It really depresses me, it's a great series that deserves better, but because of the crappy releases, no one buys it, so companies think we don't want it. UGH!! Maybe Discotek can rescue it someday...

The eyecatch was always in English like that, as far as I can remember! lol I think that's one thing that all English-speaking fans are always surprised about. :lol:
Ah, OK! There was a hint of "English is cool" so I thought it might have been from JP broadcast but wondered if that was something Toei thought was a good idea for the DVDs and Kazuko in Accounting speaks some English so why not have her do it?

Yeah - it's a shame that Toei did such a bad job with the releases previously here. The show doesn't look bad, to me, once I've watched an episode or two in a sitting; my eyes basically have to readjust to VHS Fansub Vision.
llj wrote: Darling in the Franxx--This seems to be a polarizing show. But as an all-out homage to Gainax's greatest hits it has its pleasures. It's like someone threw Evangelion, Gunbuster, Gurren Lagann with a dash of Urusei Yatsura and Eureka Seven in a blender and came out with Darling in the Franxx. I liked it, but I was less impressed by the beginning of the show than most fans were. I actually significantly preferred the 2nd half of the show over the 1st, but from what I see many fans prefer the 1st half.
Started this show, quickly thought it was bad and always said I was coming back for a podcast review. So, uh, I'll get there eventually.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
llj

Post by llj »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:33 pm
Started this show, quickly thought it was bad and always said I was coming back for a podcast review. So, uh, I'll get there eventually.
It's...it basically starts off like Gurren Lagann, turns into Evangelion, then turns into Gunbuster 2. If you didn't like those shows I could see why it would be a turn off. If you DID like those shows I could also see why it would be a turn-off. Still, I cannot deny that the last 6 or so episodes is "epic".
llj

Post by llj »

Chihayafuru--This is surprisingly a really fun show! Even though the rules of karuta can take a while to grasp, and the strategies even moreso, you get enough of the general idea for the dramatic gaming scenes to work. What makes the show work best though is the characterization, which is done patiently and steady. There are like 2-3 episodes in the beginning solely devoted to establishing the background of the main characters, which is appreciated and they follow through on much of the promise laid out in the beginning. They make the game of karuta feel like a mix of martial arts, chess, and meditation. And that allows the story a wide variety of ways in which to develop the characters.