An index of prominent figures in the early anime fandom?

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: An index of prominent figures in the early anime fandom?

Post by DKop »

I remember asking that question to Toshifumi Yoshida years back at Animazement, and from what I gathered he's gotten completely out of the anime industry, but works somewhere in the media market. So in a sense he kinda fell of the radar, and there's no way to get in contact with him afaik. Although I will say he handed Toshi like $1000 of unpaid translation funds that Toshi felt was robbed from him over the years when he worked as a translator during the 90's. It went along the lines of "...(O'Donnell) asked me what kind of losses I had from doing translation work (when Yoshida was translating for CPM is how I remember it) when other people started to charge cheaper rates, and I mentioned 'about a $1000 i'd say.' He (O'Donnell) then whipped out his checkbook and wrote in the amount on the spot." That's kinda my one testimony from someone who worked for O'Donnell in how a great guy he was in helping people out who worked for him.
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Post by Fireminer »

Though not exactly a figure for my list, does anyone here know anything about Mr. Robert Barron, who was a voice actor in Robotech and worked on the English dub of Macross? He started as Abraham Lincoln in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Bill and Ted's is probably his most famous role, not his first. The first Macross dub and Robotech both predate Bill and Ted's. Looks like he's got some other anime credits on IMDB for Macron-1 and Wicked City.

I've met a couple of the Robotech cast (apparently) and they've never mentioned him. Is there something special/specific about him?
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

I just realized that this month marks 40 years since I got my first tapes in from my bud in Nagasaki. June 1980. I'm amazed that at least some of the tapes are still watchable and able to be archived. Sadly, some are not with my attempts to fix them being failures. So it goes...
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

_D_ wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:34 pm I just realized that this month marks 40 years since I got my first tapes in from my bud in Nagasaki. June 1980. I'm amazed that at least some of the tapes are still watchable and able to be archived. Sadly, some are not with my attempts to fix them being failures. So it goes...
Thank you for your hard work; even though it probably didn't seem like it at the time, I'm confident that the anime world of today couldn't have existed without you. (^_^)

As an anime "middle-schooler" I still get surprised sometimes by how many anime fans there are today, and how few there were in the beginning.
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
Fireminer

Post by Fireminer »

Helen McCarthy suggested that there are some names which I should add to the list, which included Allyson and Dafydd Dyar, Debra and Ted Delorme, Vaunda K. Perry, Wendy Dinsmore, Rob Lantz, the Moriarty twins, and Beverley Headley Moriarty. Except for Vaunda K. Perry (thanks to an excellent obituary from Helen), I'm having trouble finding any information about them. I'd appreciate anyone who can share their knowledge of these figures.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Fireminer wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:40 am Helen McCarthy suggested that there are some names which I should add to the list, which included Allyson and Dafydd Dyar, Debra and Ted Delorme, Vaunda K. Perry, Wendy Dinsmore, Rob Lantz, the Moriarty twins, and Beverley Headley Moriarty. Except for Vaunda K. Perry (thanks to an excellent obituary from Helen), I'm having trouble finding any information about them. I'd appreciate anyone who can share their knowledge of these figures.
Vaunda, the Delormes, and Wendy Dinsmore were all part of the same circle of friends that I met when I got into anime fandom in the 1980s. Wendy moved to Japan around the same time Vaunda did and after a few decades she moved back to Florida. Ted and Deb Delorme's wedding was the first time I met a lot of the Florida group of C/FO members. Ted and Deb and Wendy and Vaunda were all members of several APAs including Animanga APA and Mind's Eye APA; all were fan artists, attended conventions, etc.
Fireminer

Post by Fireminer »

davemerrill wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:12 am
Fireminer wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:40 am Helen McCarthy suggested that there are some names which I should add to the list, which included Allyson and Dafydd Dyar, Debra and Ted Delorme, Vaunda K. Perry, Wendy Dinsmore, Rob Lantz, the Moriarty twins, and Beverley Headley Moriarty. Except for Vaunda K. Perry (thanks to an excellent obituary from Helen), I'm having trouble finding any information about them. I'd appreciate anyone who can share their knowledge of these figures.
Vaunda, the Delormes, and Wendy Dinsmore were all part of the same circle of friends that I met when I got into anime fandom in the 1980s. Wendy moved to Japan around the same time Vaunda did and after a few decades she moved back to Florida. Ted and Deb Delorme's wedding was the first time I met a lot of the Florida group of C/FO members. Ted and Deb and Wendy and Vaunda were all members of several APAs including Animanga APA and Mind's Eye APA; all were fan artists, attended conventions, etc.
Wendy Dismore's old Gatchaman fanpage went down years ago, but she has a Quora's page or so it seems. I will try to contact her to see if it's really is her.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

Ted Delorme used to be on Twitter as ThatDarnTed, but gave it up a few years ago.
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
Fireminer

Post by Fireminer »

Say, I'm trying to find more information about the Moriarty brothers. Does anyone know what were their jobs when the brothers started hosting C/FO NY meetings?