Other Japanese cultural imports?

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Other Japanese cultural imports?

Post by runesaint »

DKop wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:41 am
_D_ wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:58 pm \

I think those books are in another room in a box somehwre. The one in my bedroom contains a lot of books on film like ones on the old serials or my Tolkien books like The Silmarillion and others or the first edition Star Wars paperbacks or old scifi and fantasy books and pulps. I really need to catalog them all. Probably will all be binned when I die but...ah well...
If you got any Lensmen books i'm welcome to take them off your hands. I've been trying to find those in the wild for a number of years with no luck. I'm not even sure when they were last reprinted, like in the 80's?
No, there were some high quality reprints in the late 90s early 2000s.
Although it has been a long time since I saw them in a used book store. . . actually, it has been a long time since I have been -in- a used book store =(
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I think those books are in another room in a box somehwre. The one in my bedroom contains a lot of books on film like ones on the old serials or my Tolkien books like The Silmarillion and others or the first edition Star Wars paperbacks or old scifi and fantasy books and pulps. I really need to catalog them all. Probably will all be binned when I die but...ah well...
If you got any Lensmen books i'm welcome to take them off your hands. I've been trying to find those in the wild for a number of years with no luck. I'm not even sure when they were last reprinted, like in the 80's?
I see the Pyramid Lensman paperbacks from the mid 1960s with the op-art covers fairly often in used bookstores. The next time you're out and about, your local used bookstore ought to have one or two, and can definitely order them for you. Find the oldest SF fan in your area and he's probably got the Gnome Press editions in a bookshelf somewhere, but he's not likely to part with them.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

davemerrill wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:33 am

I see the Pyramid Lensman paperbacks from the mid 1960s with the op-art covers fairly often in used bookstores. The next time you're out and about, your local used bookstore ought to have one or two, and can definitely order them for you. Find the oldest SF fan in your area and he's probably got the Gnome Press editions in a bookshelf somewhere, but he's not likely to part with them.
The Lensman books from various publishers are probably around here someplace. But there are so many places to look. The old shelf at my feet contains a bunch of Ace Doubles, Dr. Who Target printings, Fantastic Universe pulp magazines (I think those had the first Starship Soldiers (Troopers) story by Heinlein), several HP Lovecraft paperbacks, Startling Mystery pulps including the first published Stephen King one, lots of other Acme pulp magazines (I originally bought them because of their Virgil Finlay front covers), a double drawer full of anime mags (my main collection of those from 1980 - 2000 is in another room though), plus all the tapes that got pulled out to be capped. You get the general idea...another hoarder...