Netflix cancels LA Cowboy Bebop

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Netflix cancels LA Cowboy Bebop

Post by usamimi »

*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Netflix cancels LA Cowboy Bebop

Post by DKop »

I'm kinda torn on this news. On the one hand, the show got what it deserves by changing things up that fans hated. On the other hand, I wanted to see where the story would go. I really was looking forward to a second season of this show and that it left the story open, but now we'll never get that conclusion. There were more things I liked about this than I disliked, regardless of how the ending ended on a sour note. Tomorrow Studios will mostly likely not get funding from somewhere to conclude its own take on the Bebop universe, and im saddened by that.
Captain_EO
Anime Fan Since: 2002

Post by Captain_EO »

I feel exactly the same as DKop.
Without getting into spoiler-y details, despite Cowboy Bebop Netflix handling Vicious and Julia rather... poorly, I thought the main crew had excellent chemistry and were a blast to watch together - The show overall wasn't as deep as the original, but you could tell they were learning from past anime live-action blunders and at least made an effort here. Mustafa Shakir absolutely nailed his Jet Black performance, with his mannerisms and voice sounding almost 1:1 to Beau Billingslea's iconic dub role; John Cho was smooth and cool as Spike's known to be, and Daniella Pineda added some nice spunk to Faye's character. I felt the costume and set designs were also well done.

But there were a lot of story decisions that were just baffling, notably the twist ending... I get *why* they did it, and it made sense with their new story developments, but it still left a strange aftertaste. I also wanted them to make a season two just to see where they were going with that arc, but now we're left with this mysterious ending. Regardless of the show's quality, it's a downer as a writer to not be able to realize the full plot of your story.

So yeah, in short? I'm mixed. Funnily enough, we're still getting the comic adaptation in January.
DKop

Post by DKop »

Captain_EO wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:20 am I feel exactly the same as DKop.
Without getting into spoiler-y details, despite Cowboy Bebop Netflix handling Vicious and Julia rather... poorly, I thought the main crew had excellent chemistry and were a blast to watch together - The show overall wasn't as deep as the original, but you could tell they were learning from past anime live-action blunders and at least made an effort here. Mustafa Shakir absolutely nailed his Jet Black performance, with his mannerisms and voice sounding almost 1:1 to Beau Billingslea's iconic dub role; John Cho was smooth and cool as Spike's known to be, and Daniella Pineda added some nice spunk to Faye's character. I felt the costume and set designs were also well done.

But there were a lot of story decisions that were just baffling, notably the twist ending... I get *why* they did it, and it made sense with their new story developments, but it still left a strange aftertaste. I also wanted them to make a season two just to see where they were going with that arc, but now we're left with this mysterious ending. Regardless of the show's quality, it's a downer as a writer to not be able to realize the full plot of your story.

So yeah, in short? I'm mixed. Funnily enough, we're still getting the comic adaptation in January.
I can't believe I have to resort to reading comic adaptations to get a conclusion to a story, but it is what it is. I will strongly assume that the comics will take where the story was going and adapt it for the people who want to see how this show gets an ending. I mean thats what a responsible writer would do, which is how comics have finished stories or started them in the past, but we'll see.

The chemistry between Shakir, Cho and Pineda was one of the best highlights I felt that went more deep into the characters than what the anime did. Theres nothing wrong with how the anime did it and Wantanabe told the story he wanted, but the LA seemed to flesh them out even more and added a bit more flavor to an already perfect element. Set designs and special effects were spot on, no issues there

That ending had me wound up because of that 180 outta no where, but after thinking on it it does give a very interesting take on an alternate reality where the events of the series could've gone as well. I feel its still within the universe rules and boundaries because we never really knew much of Julia other than her being an love interest of Spike, we really didn't know about her in the anime. I appreciate the depth they gave her and Vicious in this show even though I didn't agree with all of it. I'll give it that it was an ending I sure didn't see coming.

I would've gotten enjoyment seeing the actress for Ed knowing if the actress could keep up that characters personality for another 10 episodes, sadly it seems were just going to get a taste of that.
George W
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by George W »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Damn you, Netflix. God damn you (Netflix) all to hell!

That didn't last long - I just streamed the whole series in a few days. It was better than Lost in Space - that's for sure.
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

DKop wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:33 am chemistry between Shakir, Cho and Pineda
Wait, chemistry between the main characters? No wonder the fans of the anime hated it! 😁

Kidding! But not really! I always thought the lack of any meaningful relationship development really hurt the original anime, especially since, you know, relationships are really the heart of any story with, like, characters.

I remember Ein and Ed at least being likeable though.
George W

Post by George W »

You could sense something between Fearless and Julia - some strong itch that needed to be scratched - BAD.

The twist at the end was tough to take, but you have to consider the environment Julie existed in. Vicious was willing to put a gun to her head and pull the trigger.

Can you imagine (even in Anime space) the stress that would put on a relationship? It's borderline insane - some people would lose their marbles if they had that happen to them.

You are basically expecting to be dead in a second. Click.

That scene still makes my skin crawl. Which I guess is good.
llj

Post by llj »

It was DOA from the start. Nobody asked for a live action, and people were predisposed to dislike it from the start regardless of its merits.

But Cowboy Bebop is most famous for its ridiculous sense of style. I’d even say the show is a case of style over substance being a valid artistic approach. No remake could ever “get” that because nobody will ever admit that a great show like this is 90% style.
George W

Post by George W »

This might be hearsay, but I never watched the original one. I guess I should look it up.

The title never grabbed my attention.
DKop

Post by DKop »

I can't throw stones at you, because my hearsay would be that ive not watched Full Metal Alchemist yet. You should check it out, but whenever you want too.