What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Elytron Frass
Anime Fan Since: 1997

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by Elytron Frass »

DKop wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:16 am Ive been getting into the Netflix Cowboy Bebop series and im halfway through it already. This is a toss up because there are things in it I really really like, and things I really don't like. I have no issue with them taking Bebop and doing their own spin to it using the original source material as a spring board, and in a way its like a alternative Bebop universe if things were different. I thoroughly enjoy the set design, scenery, locations and background. Ship designs im very impressed with and in a way its somewhat comic bookey how the Swordfish looks, but I was blown away when I first saw it since I thought it looked really really good. I've had to pause at some scenes to take in the backdrops and the detail of every part of the universe the crew visits.

In terms of acting I enjoy how solid the actor is for Jet, really getting close to the Beau Billingslea voice and I feel knocks it out of the park. I really like that Jet is also a family man and just wants to be a good dad to his kid, I got no issue with that added to his character. I like the actor for Spike and it mimmicks yet has its its own spin to Spike personality of the show, really bringing the character to life even more. Faye I feel she's doing a good job with her role. I was impressed with the Big Shot segment in how the guy actor really nails down the corny-esque role of the character in the dub, I was really eating that up.

My major downsides are the actors for Vicious and the blonde host of Big Shot. The blonde needs to be more southern gal, I feel like that would really go well and hamming up her role like the character in the anime series. This time with the changes of the show, Vicious has a bigger role and seems to be more of a super villian becoming. I really don't like that but at the same time with all the changes going on I guess that would make sense to change him up. I just don't thing the actor is the right person for Vicious, his eyes have too much expression. The ordeal with Ren being in the show as the series is portraying him now ive got mixed feelings on. I feel that its hamming to add in characters like him in the current culture to appease a demographic, but if they do more with him I wouldn't mind.

I'm curious on how they will take this series, but its a 50/50 split between what annoys me and what I really enjoy, and the parts I enjoy are why im sticking with the show. They got Adrianne Barbeau playing the old lady enviromentalist leader in the 4th episode, which I got a kick outta that. Good to see she stays active in acting doing small roles these days. I'd give this show a 10/10 if they cross over Sealab with bebop and she comes back as the Adrienne BarbeauBot, but only time will tell.

Getting stoned and watching Sealab back when it was airing used to be so much fun. I can't be critical in any way about the live action Beepop because I watched merely half of the first episode. I seemed fine. What made me not pick it back up however was the fact that the whole time I kept asking myself "do I really need to see this? Am I that curious? isn't what I already got from the anime enough?" So I walked away without an opinion on it other than it certainly looked like a live action version of the anime. I'm not sure I'll ever watch it.

saw a cool stop-motion animated film called Junkhead. The animator/director said he was very much inspired by the manga BLAME! and it shows. It's got more levity and warmth than BLAME! though.

also revisited Good Morning, Althea. Light fare, story-wise, but some really nice mechanical designs and sense of scale make it visually entertaining.
George W
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by George W »

I was that curious. I enjoyed the live action Bebop.

It played well, and the SFX were nicely done, not overdone.

You definitely get a vibe that "Fearless" and "John Wick" are close cousins.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

I watched Pumpkin Scissors for some reason. :D Not a bad show, but I can see why it got bad reviews when it first came out, as the OP does not do a good job representing the show. I think a lot of reviewers came expecting an action show, when instead they got a show where people spent a lot of time talking rather than fighting. I thought some of the individual episodes were well-done, but the person in charge of connecting them all together (series composition?) didn't seem to know how to do it.
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

llj wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:32 am Crusher Joe movie—Finally watched this. There’s an opinion out there that the OVAs are better. I get that, but i think i like the movie better despite some hitches in the pacing and scene transitions. It has a romanticism and grandness to it that the OVAs lack.
I like the film better, too, pretty much for the same reasons you highlighted - it just feels much bigger and epic. I need to get around to getting the BluRay of it (and the OAVs).

Been checking out Karate Master on RetroCrush. 1973-74 TV anime directed by Ozamu Dezaki, based on manga written by Ikki Kajiwara (Star of the Giants, Tiger Mask, Ashita no Joe), which itself is based on real-life karateka Mas Oyama. How much "based" it is on Oyama is probably subject to some debate: from what I'm familiar with, Oyama was "a little out there" for a lot of mainstream Karate folks at the time, but the lead Ken Asuka is wildly dialed up to 11. The first episodes take place right after World War II and features a lot of post-war poverty (which is very reminiscent of Ashita no Joe and I am wondering if this is starting to be one of Kajiwara's themes in his manga writing), which is interesting. There's also some live-action footage stitched in, to help illustrate some of Oyama's points about karate and add a bit of flair. It's cool, anyway.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
llj

Post by llj »

Genocidal Organ--In an increasingly YA-oriented anime film market, this one is a refreshing throwback to those 90s political thrillers by Oshii. Although in animation quality, it's not as tight as those past films. That said, this one's an interesting adaptation of the novel of the same. The post 9/11 commentary still hits decently today.
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

Genocidal Organ was a intriguing...certainly the best of the final 3 Project Ito adaptations.

speaking of "Geno..." just did a rewatch of the Genocyber collection. 1st ova is best, 2-3 are solid, but call me odd I really like the mood and concepts in the final 2 ova's (4-5).
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

3x3 Eyes (Streamline Pictures VHS dub)
llj

Post by llj »

About halfway through Daimos. It really is a pretty good show! This is a later days super robot era show so the industry transition to the Gundam era is already hinted here (Zambot 3 also being another precursor super robot show). The enemy side (Barmanians) seem to get much more screen focus than the “good guys” by episode 11 ish.
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

Blade of the Immortal (2019)

redemption through second chances are a major theme of Blade of the Immortal and coincidentally this 2019 adaption is just that: a redemptive and more faithful adaptation from the unfinished and limply tame 2008 version. Blade of the Immortal was the first manga my younger self had read. I was let down, like many other fans, by the botched 2008 series. Yet, this one gets most of it right...and with a lack of relatable anime adaptations this era, I'm extremely satisfied with the time spent on character development, high stakes, and limb loss. Must say that the first couple of episode have some pacing issues and. for that, many might dismiss this effort. Once you get past the that rough start however, the series blooms into something very special with a more intricate and carefully developed middle and ending that linger.
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

Elytron Frass wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:26 pm Blade of the Immortal (2019)

redemption through second chances are a major theme of Blade of the Immortal and coincidentally this 2019 adaption is just that: a redemptive and more faithful adaptation from the unfinished and limply tame 2008 version. Blade of the Immortal was the first manga my younger self had read. I was let down, like many other fans, by the botched 2008 series. Yet, this one gets most of it right...and with a lack of relatable anime adaptations this era, I'm extremely satisfied with the time spent on character development, high stakes, and limb loss. Must say that the first couple of episode have some pacing issues and. for that, many might dismiss this effort. Once you get past the that rough start however, the series blooms into something very special with a more intricate and carefully developed middle and ending that linger.
wish I could edit but anyhow I also really appreciated the lack of "filler episodes" and "filler character development" --what's there is carefully constructed but feels necessary and utilitarian in the best ways