1999/X x Let's Anime

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

1999/X x Let's Anime

Post by davemerrill »

Back in the last print issue of Let's Anime, back in 1999, my pal Matt Murray reviewed the Rintaro film X- you know, based on the CLAMP manga - in one gigantic run-on sentence! And now it's back for your reading pleasure. (Spoiler: he didn't like the movie)

https://letsanime.blogspot.com/2022/01/x-mild-gift.html

x1999e.jpg
x1999e.jpg (84.35 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
Elytron Frass
Anime Fan Since: 1997

Re: 1999/X x Let's Anime

Post by Elytron Frass »

hah! I've recently be re-obsessing about X 1999, as I've even made a CLAMP APPRECIATION THREAD the other day.
to each their own opinion ofc, but it still holds up for me as an art film with genre pastiche, using the the basics of the manga's tale and themes to explore something more akin to a mood and sensorial experience with all the face-value trappings of an anime. Dreamy.
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

from what I understand, the film's a lot more enjoyable for those who have read the manga and/or seen the TV show. I don't think Matt had, and I know I haven't.
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

Well, I've never read it or seen the show. Im aware of them and have browsed the manga once long after seeing the film. It's just a matter of personal taste. I prefer things that keep themselves elusive and have hypercondensed storytelling. I can't stand shows that take time developing characters and or have too many slice of life/mundane moments. I'm come for the fever dreams and the moods and attention to technical detail.
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

Furthermore I think Rin Taro's knew that those last 3 things I mention above mattered more to him here than staying faithful to sources. The film itself seems aware of its own ambitions and therefore critically speaking I'd say it achieves its goals--however alienating to wider audiences those goals might be.
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

I can't really speak to the film myself, I have never seen it. Gathering the screen caps for the Let's Anime post was the most "X/1999" I have ever experienced.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I'm reminded that I own two copies of this film on two different formats, the reasons are there is none/ stuff was cheap at the flea market :lol:

I've seen this movie once, back in high school late one friday night like maybe 2002 or 2003, that I believe was taped off Starz from some buds in high school who lent me their anime taped stuff. During the film I had no clue what was going on, couldn't make sense of anything, and im really hesitant to willing watch this again since that only one viewing (despite the fact that I own this film). That's really all I have to say about X.
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by runesaint »

Well to be fair, when he made the movie, the story hadn't completed (it still hasn't, actually), and they hadn't even introduced all the characters yet. So they reduced the movie to all the 'boss battles'. Ah well.