Macross II, Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Frontier, & Macross Delta to get released in America!

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Macross II, Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Frontier, & Macross Delta to get released in America!

Post by usamimi »

I'm sure most of us have already heard the news by now, but just in case: Macross is actually getting some official American releases! Animeigo will be releasing Macross II, Anime Limited will be releasing Macross Plus, and Nozomi Entertainment will be releasing Frontier and Delta. Not a ton of details about any of the releases yet, but still!! This is great, and hopefully means more Macross will be coming our way soon!

Sources: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... sc/.187281

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... an/.187277

Edit: Macross 7 has also been picked up by Nozomi! https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... me/.187292
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Macross II, Macross Plus, Macross Frontier, & Macross Delta to get released in America!

Post by llj »

Unfortunately, I've heard talk that there's still rights issues with DYRL in Japan, so that might not be resolved for a while.

But Frontier and Delta finally coming here is nice. I've also mentioned in here a few times that I'm one of maybe 5 fans of Macross II. :lol:
usamimi

Re: Macross II, Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Frontier, & Macross Delta to get released in America!

Post by usamimi »

Macross 7 was just announced today as well! Wow! Happy Macross-mas! :lol:
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Macross II, Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Frontier, & Macross Delta to get released in America!

Post by DKop »

Im excited for M7 since that gives me a legal reason to watch/own it since ive know about the show for about 20 years but never had the chances to go out and see it for myself. I understand certain people really like the show and others dont, but ive always been curious about it. Plus getting a release on Bluray is going to look so fantastic!
llj

Post by llj »

Macross 7 has always been one of those interesting curiosities for me. It’s a big commitment though.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I'm hoping since Nozomi got that one that it'll possibly end up streaming--It'd be great to see Macross more accessible to younger fans who've never heard of it!
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

Wow, Macross 7? Sweet!

I really enjoyed that show, at least after the first 5 or so episodes, when they were finally done singing Planet Dance.

I have Macross 2 and Plus on DVD and not too bothered to replace them with BD. But Macross 7 is a coup.

Hopefully we'll get DYRL soon as well, perhaps with Flashback 2012 included.

I can't say I care at all about any Macross made after 7.
llj

Post by llj »

Yeah, I would say the most annoying thing about the post Macross 7s are those CG mechas...I mean, I'm not against the use of CG when applied carefully, but none of those 2000s Macrosses really seemed to do it right. Now the modern Gundams, they do it right.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Such a wild time to see this much Macross becoming widely available - it's almost like the early 2000s when the original TV series was released by AnimEigo then re-released by ADV.

Of this bunch, I am most excited by Macross 7, mostly for the nature that it seemed to be that one Macross property that could never escape fansub hell for one reason or another, but of the 90s Macross, it's probably my favorite. This will be enough to tide me over for a proper DYRL and Flashback 2012 release here (hopefully a convenient double-disc release).
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

llj wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:25 am Yeah, I would say the most annoying thing about the post Macross 7s are those CG mechas...I mean, I'm not against the use of CG when applied carefully, but none of those 2000s Macrosses really seemed to do it right. Now the modern Gundams, they do it right.
My attitude is: if I wanted CGI mecha, I'd play a video game.

Furthermore, I don't really like any anime at all made after the jump to computers. Perhaps sacrilege around here, I don't know. When you have computers generating in-betweens, I don't want it. When you have "animators" pulling on vectorized curves with a mouse, instead of hand drawing them, I don't want it. I want drawings, drawn by humans. I can tell the difference.