WTB/WTT: VHS Fansubs

Our own online marketplace!
DisasterBeast
Anime Fan Since: 1999

WTB/WTT: VHS Fansubs

Post by DisasterBeast »

Hello all, I realize this is a long shot but I am actively looking to purchase VHS fansubs, any series, any movie/specials. I currently have over 100+ tapes that I started collecting during the pandemic, so I know they are still out there, but finding them is tricky. They can be DVD recordings of vhs fansubs as well. If interested in trading I can provide a list. I appreciate any and all help, thank you!
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: WTB/WTT: VHS Fansubs

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I'm curious, as I have seen quite a few people interested in just collecting old fansub tapes, what's the appeal? What do you do with them? I get maybe trying to preserve or cataloging them for history, or hunting down very rare properties, but just buying them to keep them on a shelf?
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by runesaint »

I am curious as to the original poster, but I will admit now, having dvds of the episodes that I occasionally spent years trying to track down... I have a certain nostalgia for the old versions with commercials etcetera... I can 'still' remember some of the commercials just before the end credits of Saint Seiya episodes..
DisasterBeast

Post by DisasterBeast »

Well, nostalgia is certainly a factor for me, I always wanted more fansubs growing up but alas was too poor, so now I'm kind of reliving those days. But also yes to digitally preserve titles as well. I'm in contact with a 74 year old man who has Dr. Slump recordings from the Hawaii channel Pearl and NGN that I'm trying to acquire from him. Dr. Slump has never had an official release stateside and technically these aren't Fansubs per se, but fan recordings of episodes that happened to be subbed in English.

Honestly, I started collecting during the lockdown and initially wanted to create some sort of documentary on the Fansub culture, I think fansubs are a huge important part of Anime culture in North America, and honestly doesn't get the credit it deserves for Anime popularity. Toonami and later Adult swim really blew anime up but before that we all had to get anime somehow right? Well I have over 200 tapes as of now, and I found like minded collectors like me and now we've started an old fashioned tape trading ring. It's just fun.

Anyways, if anyone wants to join us we're at: reddit.com/r/vhsfansubs
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I still have a few tapes of Dr Slump and Fist Of The North Star taped from the Nippon Golden Network subtitling era, myself. It was an exciting time to be getting fairly up to date shows with English subtitles that were broadcast over the air, until suddenly Fuji-TV noticed and pulled the plug.

https://letsanime.blogspot.com/2015/02/ ... -fuji.html
DisasterBeast

Post by DisasterBeast »

davemerrill wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:51 am I still have a few tapes of Dr Slump and Fist Of The North Star taped from the Nippon Golden Network subtitling era, myself. It was an exciting time to be getting fairly up to date shows with English subtitles that were broadcast over the air, until suddenly Fuji-TV noticed and pulled the plug.

https://letsanime.blogspot.com/2015/02/ ... -fuji.html
That's a bit of history I didn't know about lol, and if you're ever considering letting those tapes go, whether copies or originals, I would be very interested in them.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

DisasterBeast wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:41 am Well, nostalgia is certainly a factor for me, I always wanted more fansubs growing up but alas was too poor, so now I'm kind of reliving those days. But also yes to digitally preserve titles as well. I'm in contact with a 74 year old man who has Dr. Slump recordings from the Hawaii channel Pearl and NGN that I'm trying to acquire from him. Dr. Slump has never had an official release stateside and technically these aren't Fansubs per se, but fan recordings of episodes that happened to be subbed in English.

Honestly, I started collecting during the lockdown and initially wanted to create some sort of documentary on the Fansub culture, I think fansubs are a huge important part of Anime culture in North America, and honestly doesn't get the credit it deserves for Anime popularity. Toonami and later Adult swim really blew anime up but before that we all had to get anime somehow right? Well I have over 200 tapes as of now, and I found like minded collectors like me and now we've started an old fashioned tape trading ring. It's just fun.

Anyways, if anyone wants to join us we're at: reddit.com/r/vhsfansubs
Thanks for the explanation, I hope you didn't feel I was taking a dig at you or anything. It's just weird for me that my brain is still stuck in the old "not for sale or rent" and "fancy clamshell case for $25 bucks" mindset when talking about VHS fansubs, so when I hear folks seeking them out for cash. But I guess from some perspective, I can see it. Definitely nostalgic about some things from that era or if I could replace some of my tapes that had some fun commercials on them (like runesaint said). And I totally agree that fansubbing is a very important part of the story of North American fandom and worth preserving.

I've joined the subreddit, looking forward to taking a gander.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
Moonsaber
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by Moonsaber »

I might have to check storage to see if I still have my Kenshin speedsubs. Commercials in.

I personally keep out my Macross 7 Kodocha made tapes, and my Tenshi ni Narumon tapes.

I know I have others about, like my KOR tapes.
Is there such a thing as Too Much Anime?
Castien
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Castien »

I kind of understand. Even though I prefer official releases, I still kept my VKLL fansubs of Sailor Stars out of nostalgia.