New article on early anime fandom

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
aurechan
Anime Fan Since: 2004

New article on early anime fandom

Post by aurechan »

Hi! A few months ago, I asked on the forum about early anime fandom and sexism as I was writing a paper on it (see: viewtopic.php?t=1572 - the discussion is archived that's why I am making a new post :)). Thank you for your insights on the matter, it was very useful to crosscheck information.

The paper got published last week! "“Do female anime fans exist?” The impact of women-exclusionary discourses on rec.arts.anime" https://doi.org/10.1080/24701475.2022.2109265. I also mention the index of important figures in the anime fandom that members of the forum are making! It's not in open access but if you look for the title online, you should find a preprint ;). You can also message me directly ever!

kindly,
Aurechan
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: New article on early anime fandom

Post by davemerrill »

glad to see the paper's out there in the world, thanks for your hard work!
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

Thank you for your hard work.
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
Captain_EO
Anime Fan Since: 2002

Post by Captain_EO »

Congrats on finishing your paper! I just read the whole thing, and you can tell a lot of research went into it.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I was never a member of the Something Awful forums, though I do have a lot of friends who were. Occasionally I'd see mentions of "ADTRW," without ever knowing what those initials stood for. And now I know. Thanks, I think?
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

aurechan wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:35 pm Hi! A few months ago, I asked on the forum about early anime fandom and sexism as I was writing a paper on it (see: viewtopic.php?t=1572 - the discussion is archived that's why I am making a new post :)). Thank you for your insights on the matter, it was very useful to crosscheck information.

The paper got published last week! "“Do female anime fans exist?” The impact of women-exclusionary discourses on rec.arts.anime" https://doi.org/10.1080/24701475.2022.2109265. I also mention the index of important figures in the anime fandom that members of the forum are making! It's not in open access but if you look for the title online, you should find a preprint ;). You can also message me directly ever!

kindly,
Aurechan
Congrats on finishing and publishing your paper! I can tell you put in a lot of work and research into this one just by looking at all your citations! Is there a way to read this without having to buy it? I'd love to give it a read, but $47 is a little out of my price range at the moment, unfortunately.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
aurechan
Anime Fan Since: 2004

Post by aurechan »

usamimi wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:46 am
aurechan wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:35 pm Hi! A few months ago, I asked on the forum about early anime fandom and sexism as I was writing a paper on it (see: viewtopic.php?t=1572 - the discussion is archived that's why I am making a new post :)). Thank you for your insights on the matter, it was very useful to crosscheck information.

kindly,
Aurechan
Congrats on finishing and publishing your paper! I can tell you put in a lot of work and research into this one just by looking at all your citations! Is there a way to read this without having to buy it? I'd love to give it a read, but $47 is a little out of my price range at the moment, unfortunately.
Hi! Sorry I am only getting back to you now, I haven't check my account in a while. I posted a free version of the article on my Researchgate account: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... cartsanime

Feel free to share it online and on social media - I hate paywalled research! :P
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

No problem! Thanks so much for the link, I'll def give it a read soon!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*