AWA 2022

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

AWA 2022

Post by davemerrill »

It's that time again, it's time for Anime Weekend Atlanta to rise up and start bouncing around again! No Braves playoffs to clog traffic, and the mask & vax policies that kept 2021's AWA COVID-free (seriously, zero cases last year) are still in effect, so it's shaping up to be a great show. What am I up to AWA weekend?

shfs 2022 final.jpg
shfs 2022 final.jpg (377.36 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
Thursday is the SUPERHAPPYFUNSELL, the garage sale of used anime wonders. Bring cash!

totally lame.jpg
totally lame.jpg (369.69 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
Friday at 11pm Neil Nadelman presents Totally Lame Anime! and it is!

anime hell awa 2022.jpg
anime hell awa 2022.jpg (314.1 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
This is followed at one o'clock in the freakin' morning by ANIME HELL! Bring coffee!

1972 awa 2022.jpg
1972 awa 2022.jpg (294.69 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
Saturday at 10:30am (ugh) I rouse myself to lecture on the Japanese animation world of 1972.

1982 awa 2022.jpg
1982 awa 2022.jpg (335.66 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
And Sunday afternoon Darius Washington and myself hold forth upon the miracle year of 1982 in terms of anime!

Gonna be a great show, see you there, if you see me there ask me about Saturday night, might be a little social time up in there!
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: AWA 2022

Post by DKop »

I'll be doing my panels but they'll be in the AMV/Habershawn room. On Friday at 3pm ill be hosting At the Movies: A showcase into Trailer
AMV's...
and at 7pm Head Banging AMV's: Anime and Metal Unite!.
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

DKop wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:49 am I'll be doing my panels but they'll be in the AMV/Habershawn room. On Friday at 3pm ill be hosting At the Movies: A showcase into Trailer
AMV's...
I know the VAT crew is trying to get some excitement happening in the room, thanks for helping out!
DKop

Post by DKop »

davemerrill wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:06 pm
DKop wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:49 am I'll be doing my panels but they'll be in the AMV/Habershawn room. On Friday at 3pm ill be hosting At the Movies: A showcase into Trailer
AMV's...
I know the VAT crew is trying to get some excitement happening in the room, thanks for helping out!
Oh its going to be a pretty fun time that weekend. The VAT has a lot of cool stuff going on in terms of fan made posters off AMV's around Habersham (which will feature one of my videos, I think you'll dig it!), a bounty board for people to find other editors in the con, and other things as well. I got a free ride for my badge for doing two panels because of the new directors policy, no complaints there.
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

It's been a week and change and I gotta say the con went really well. Everyone was good about masking, the numbers were way up from both last year and from 2019 (AWA's previous highest attendance), and even my 1:00am Anime Hell ran fine. I think I was more worried about being able to stay awake, but the coffee cart in the Galleria was still serving after 11pm so I managed to get my fix.

Post con, I haven't seen anyone report COVID infections. I would be surprised if, among the estimated 34,000 attendees at the convention, if SOMEBODY didn't come home with it - but so far I haven't heard of any cases.

Most of what I bought in the vendors' hall was Discotek BDs, including the two J-9 shows that have gone out of print.

It was great to see everybody there having fun and eating food truck food, staying up late talking smack about everybody who wasn't there (kidding). Glad to see AWA back in full force.
DKop

Post by DKop »

davemerrill wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:27 pm It's been a week and change and I gotta say the con went really well. Everyone was good about masking, the numbers were way up from both last year and from 2019 (AWA's previous highest attendance), and even my 1:00am Anime Hell ran fine. I think I was more worried about being able to stay awake, but the coffee cart in the Galleria was still serving after 11pm so I managed to get my fix.

Post con, I haven't seen anyone report COVID infections. I would be surprised if, among the estimated 34,000 attendees at the convention, if SOMEBODY didn't come home with it - but so far I haven't heard of any cases.

Most of what I bought in the vendors' hall was Discotek BDs, including the two J-9 shows that have gone out of print.

It was great to see everybody there having fun and eating food truck food, staying up late talking smack about everybody who wasn't there (kidding). Glad to see AWA back in full force.
Oh come on, I was clearly said person dozing off in your hotel chair that Saturday night lol. I appreciate you letting me doze off in that chair, it got comfy really quick as the night went on :lol:

That registration line was always full from Friday to Sunday throughout the day whenever I had things to do in Habersham.

I've been going through my 801 TTS Airbats DVD set I got from Otaku Joes, its been a really fun little show so far. My Discotek stuff was really the Remastered Oedo and Angel Cop Blurays I got.