Organizing Your Media And Merch

Misc. anime/manga-related merchandise
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: Organizing Your Media And Merch

Post by davemerrill »

that 4K capture thing, coupled with the RCA to HDMI thing, seems like a good solution. Definitely better than the MyGiga USB capture dongle I've been using since my DVD recorder bit the dust. Gotta put this on my Xmas list.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I'll admit, when I was first planning this whole thing, I was expecting to have to do a PC with a tuner card (like I did the first time I was attempting to digitize tapes in like 2001) but I happened upon the 4K box and figured it was cheap enough that if it didn't work it'd be easy enough to return or flip. I was then worried that I was over-complicating things going from converter to converter but in honesty - extra circuit be damned, it actually works really well together. Just have to be careful that you're getting the right RCA-HDMI converter; they make a model for each way and the HDMI in to RCA Out is significantly cheaper. This set up works like a dream.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
chibiboi
Anime Fan Since: 1995

Post by chibiboi »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:50 am I'll admit, when I was first planning this whole thing, I was expecting to have to do a PC with a tuner card (like I did the first time I was attempting to digitize tapes in like 2001) but I happened upon the 4K box and figured it was cheap enough that if it didn't work it'd be easy enough to return or flip. I was then worried that I was over-complicating things going from converter to converter but in honesty - extra circuit be damned, it actually works really well together. Just have to be careful that you're getting the right RCA-HDMI converter; they make a model for each way and the HDMI in to RCA Out is significantly cheaper. This set up works like a dream.
Using an external capture card is definitely the way to go, since you don't have to rely on your computer's CPU. I remember back in the day when I tried capturing things on VirtualDub, I would get dropped frames galore because my computer just wasn't strong enough. I'm now using this old Hauppauge HD PVR2, which is perfect in every way, except on this Macbook sometimes it gives me glitches that it didn't when I used it on my Windows. Might have to upgrade since I can't sift through all my VHS tape captures to see if any glitches pop up for my archiving.

And I definitely need some sort of shelving or organization for all my physical media. Most of my DVDs are on shelves. My important VHS collection is also on shelves (basically Sailor Moon in every form imaginable: ADV/Geneon DVDs, Viz limited edition Blu-rays, Viz new re-release Blu-rays, dub edits on VHS, fansubs on VHS), but where it gets really messy is I just have boxes of tapes on the floor that I have to sift through. I have a big box of TV recordings someone sent me because I'm looking for the rare TV edits of Sailor Moon SuperS that never made it to home release, and I have duplicate tapes on some of my shelves that I need to get rid of as I was searching for Ranma 1/2 subtitled tapes for my collection. I also have an unopened box of the new Neon Genesis Evangelion collector's edition Blu-ray set because i have nowhere to put it, and a separate box of DVDs that I want to sell because i have dupes :oops:

It all seems so overwhelming that it makes me not want to do anything about it at all.
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

chibiboi wrote:It all seems so overwhelming that it makes me not want to do anything about it at all.
This executive dysfunction struggle is real.

I am getting some stuff ready to sell and digitizing stuff now and still, after pulling everything off the shelves a few times, sorting through it all, it winds up just getting put back as I'm still not coming up with a good way to store it in an organized manner.
gaijinguy
Anime Fan Since: 1975

Post by gaijinguy »

I've been slowly organizing shelves for my manga and books related to manga. I finally made several dedicated shelves to Leiji and Shirato Sanpei. I think I'll do Mizuki Shigeru and then Umezu Kazuo next because I have a wide variety of their stuff including reprints of their earliest published material.
Retro/vintage manga YT channel GAIJINGUY http://youtube.com/c/gaijinguy
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

gaijinguy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:05 pm I've been slowly organizing shelves for my manga and books related to manga. I finally made several dedicated shelves to Leiji and Shirato Sanpei. I think I'll do Mizuki Shigeru and then Umezu Kazuo next because I have a wide variety of their stuff including reprints of their earliest published material.
I guess this is the one time I am glad my manga collection is so small - I've easily got it sorted and on one bookcase.
gaijinguy
Anime Fan Since: 1975

Post by gaijinguy »

You probably have a much more refined taste than I have :D :D :D
Retro/vintage manga YT channel GAIJINGUY http://youtube.com/c/gaijinguy
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Hardly, I'm sure. I mostly used manga as a way to help learn/practice Japanese and buying Japanese manga often had more hoops than I cared to jump through once I "lost" access to local Japanese bookstores.