Which came out in the US first, Animeigo's MADOX-01 or US Renditions' Gunbuster?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: Which came out in the US first, Animeigo's MADOX-01 or US Renditions' Gunbuster?

Post by davemerrill »

I'd like to see more Gunbuster promo - a trade advertisement would be nice, for one thing - but at this point, if that Animag article is correct then Gunbuster was released before MADOX-01 and I will have to adjust years of incorrect thinking.

the earliest I can see anyone discussing the Gunbuster tape itself is from April of 1990.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.an ... bbp7RmKU0J

There's a post from Feb. 16 where Woodhead says "Both AnimEigo (of which I am the president) and U.S. Renditions
are about to release quality, officially licensed subtitled Anime." Note the use of "about to" - maybe that Animag article was a little presumptive in its January release date.

What's great about those rec.arts.anime posts is an entire conversation from 1995 all about how "AnimEigo is finished." Sure they are, buddy.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: Which came out in the US first, Animeigo's MADOX-01 or US Renditions' Gunbuster?

Post by davemerrill »

I'm seeing a few other rec.arts.anime posts that copy-paste US Renditions/Books Nippan press releases advertising a release date of Jan. 1 1990 for both Gunbuster and Dangaio. My suspicion is that January 1st was their advertised release date, but whether or not they met that release date is anybody's guess. I mean, it's not a day anyone will be doing any retail or shipping or fulfillment work, Jan. 1 is a holiday.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

From what I gathered about Animag when Trish Ledoux was telling me about her working on the magazine with Toshifumi Yoshida and others was that it was a fan made magazine that was the foundation to Animerica. They were putting out the information they knew at the time. An example of that would be they were doing episode synopsis of Zeta Gundam based on someone making best guesses on what was going on in the episodes with the Japanese they knew. US Renditions probably told everyone who would tell the masses that release date.

US Renditions could've just promoted a street day of Janurary 1990 and hoping it could've been out commerically by then but might've been delayed. The first hand knowledge of distiribution came in the form of print media that put out issues either once a month or quarterly. Since you posted that someone was discussing Gunbuster in April of 1990 they might've just saw the tape come into their local shop for the first time which could've been months after the initial release date back in Janurary. That's one factor in play I'm assuming.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Yeah, pre-advertised release dates aren't always reliable, especially when it comes to smaller companies like US Renditions and Animeigo were at the time.

ANN lists US Renditions' Gunbuster as having been released on Feb 1, 1990. I'm not exactly sure where ANN gets their dates from, but it is a rather specific date, as is their claim that Animeigo's MADOX-01 dropped on April 6th, 1990.
George W
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by George W »

That seems to line up with my memory of when I originally bought the VHS tapes for GB 1 and M1.