Japanese anime fans dusting their VCR for Urusei Yatsura

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Japanese anime fans dusting their VCR for Urusei Yatsura

Post by Fireminer »

Link to the news: https://soranews24.com/2022/10/16/anime ... ate-media/
TL:DR Japanese fans are now recording the new Urusei Yatsura on VHS and Betamax. Anyone here crazy enough to do the same? The biggest problem seems to be finding blank tapes. A long time a go I came across an Ebay listing for packs of 2 blank tapes for $50.
Captain_EO
Anime Fan Since: 2002

Re: Japanese anime fans dusting their VCR for Urusei Yatsura

Post by Captain_EO »

I've got some blank VHS tapes in an old cabinet in my basement. Folks in Japan are lucky since they can just record it from live TV if they have a VCR, but we might have to do some sort of PC-to-CRT TV deal, using an HDMI to AV converter. I have a friend who uses his CRT as a computer monitor regularly, so I'll have to ask him about it.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

My nostalgia has a limit. I like good picture quality, so I prefer digital recordings over analog.

I do still have a bunch of recordable VHS tapes lying around though. But I don't believe I have any VHS players anymore, if I had any, it would be at my parents' house. My mother would likely have tossed them by now.
chibiboi
Anime Fan Since: 1995

Post by chibiboi »

I'm actually having a ton of luck finding blank VHS tapes off eBay. You can find a lot of people reselling their pre-taped VHS tapes (great source for finding rare TV recordings or TV-only edits of certain shows/movies), but also if you know a specific line of tapes you're looking for, there are lots of people selling tapes in bulk. I just put in a couple offers on a couple listings of Fuji A/V Pro tapes for some VHS fansub trading.