What did old-school fans think about digital fansubs?

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: What did old-school fans think about digital fansubs?

Post by Drew_Sutton »

mbanu wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:02 pm
davemerrill wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:43 pm I did a lot of copying and trading of VHS fansubs, and helped out on a few of the CPF releases. In terms of the scarcity of fansubs, or the ability to replace lost fansub tapes, well, generally you got that fansub from someone you knew. If a dog ate that tape of the Patlabor movie fansub, or if you loaned the tape to somebody and they lost it, or you took it to a convention screening and it got lost in the shuffle, well, you could get another copy from wherever you got that copy from originally.
Aha! I think maybe that was the piece of the puzzle I was missing. By the time I was watching a lot of digital fansubs, the most common way to get them was almost completely anonymous- maybe I knew the person who showed it to me (if I saw it at an anime club or a friend's house) and the fansub group name and some user handles in the credits, but if the group went away, all the middle rungs of the ladder were gone because of how it was distributed using torrents or third-party hosts, so it wasn't that I got it from one person who got it from another person who got it from the third who made it, where I could ask at each level, "OK, you don't have a copy anymore, who else did you give copies to?" In hindsight, it seems all the more surprising that I was able to maintain a "Somebody will always have them up-" mentality back then... :lol:

It sounds like while an old-school fan might take for granted that there would always be another way to get a copy, it was because they could find out where the other copies had gone?
There was still that old-school, going-to-your-human-network ability to replace a lost fansub. If you knew friends or clubmates who'd downloaded the same subs you did, you could replace stuff from your dead hard drive with copies from them. Though, the weird hangup I had at this time was that the storage size of a CDR was approximately 3 fansub episodes when an SP video tape was 4 fansub episodes and I'd gotten accustomed to counting volumes in multiples of 4. When burnable DVDs got their plusses and minuses sorted out and came down in price, that made things better as far as getting more episodes per disc.

If you didn't want to worry about burning a bunch of discs, with a little bit of know-how and equipment, you could always do a LAN and share files over that. I was active in running LAN parties in high school and college and while they were primarily for playing games, a lot of us (being high school and college kids) would do all sorts of file sharing, which in the early 2000s digital fansub boom times certainly included sharing fansubs with each other.
davemerrill wrote:There are some fans who genuinely think that I have a responsibility to preserve everything I can, and also a responsibility to make everything I have available to everyone, everywhere, forever. I mean, they have told me this in exactly these words. And that is... absolutely not the case. I'm not a public library, I'm not a universal archive and distribution service, and if some 80s cartoon isn't potentially in front of their eyeballs 24/7, that is 100% not my problem. I don't know who's problem it is, but it's not mine.
I'm with you. On the one hand, I can understand "preserve everything" because who knows what will be popular to some audience many years down the road. Like "Live Action Anime Girl" Apollo Smile - those intros she did for the Sci-Fi Channel when they had their summer anime fests. At the time I thought they were a cringe inducing cheap gimmick and I still feel that way 25 years later. But other than an odd curiosity for the anime fan history B roll, I think there are people that are genuinely interested in that dot on the timeline. There is a bit of kicking myself for stuff I didn't save or preserve. Those broadcast dubs that I watched because they were anime I'd never seen before? Those tapes got re-used pretty quickly. But you never know who might want something at some point.

But it's not my job or my problem, or yours, or anyone's really, except for the people looking for that thing. There's a bit of "well, that sucks. anyway." feeling that I can commiserate with. Their hunt can continue and I wish them well. But by the sounds of it, it won't because they might just give up. At the risk of sounding like a gatekeeper, the idea that everyone needs to not just preserve but share at their own expense everything is something talked about by some fans who would bitch about if you used a particular service they didn't like. Just like people who'd get mad at fansubbers for not releasing "on time". Or mad at the convention that pivoted due to an unexpected circumstance.
DKop wrote:"YOU OWE THE ANIME COMMUNITY YOUR STUFF BECAUSE YOU HAVE IT, BECAUSE I WANT IT AND IM THE ONLY ONE ASKING AND THE ONLY PERSON TO ASK YOU IN THE HISTORY OF FOREVER! WHEN YOU GONNA DO IT DAVE, HUH?"
Yeah, we know the same folks :lol:
davemerril wrote:In terms of using video for panels at conventions, we spent a good ten years wasting time at the start of every single panel trying to figure out how to get the panelists' laptop connected to the projector and then connected to the room audio, and then more time wasted trying to get the files to play using whatever software was on the laptop. Sometimes I'd see panelists sitting in the hotel lobby downloading new software using the free hotel wifi because their computer had decided that morning to have critical errors and corrupt their media player. Meanwhile, there I was, starting on time, having put all my panel materials in sequence onto a VHS tape a week before. Later I started burning everything to DVDs. Now I make an MP4 video file out of my panel visuals - which will play on every PC or MAC or UNIX box anywhere, it will probably play on your car stereo. My motto is "keep it simple, stupid."
I've been that guy on the wifi in my room because, yeah, the single point of failure was the whole OS. I've been the guy at the bar, putting the finishing touches on editing a clip for a panel in a couple hours. I've been the guy, or with the guy, with tech issues that caused me to start a few minutes late.

Experience teaches lessons but I am also glad that there is such a widespread adoption of MP4 and HDMI that most modern equipment can support anyone walking up with any laptop can give their presentation. KISS is a beautiful thing.

Software wise, I never learned Premiere either. Panel presentation has been VLC for playback. What lightweight editing I've done has been in Kino and now Shotcut and I am pretty happy with them. I have some old TV tapes from before we had cable of garbage I taped as a kid that are kinda snowy so I've got to check filters now to see if I can reduce some of that noise without saturating the picture too much and making it somehow worse. We'll see how Shotcut can render AegiSub transcripts as I have a couple small fansub projects I am working on.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
chibiboi
Anime Fan Since: 1995

Post by chibiboi »

I was quite young during the 90s and 2000s so the concept of time didn’t apply to me. My first introduction to fansubs was actually Real Media encodes of Sailor Moon, and while I knew links could die, it never occurred to me that files could disappear forever. I definitely regret deleting stuff, like stuff that I’ve personally fansubbed and put onto the Internet, especially since I was from a smaller group.

Right now I’m collecting both VHS fansubs so I can rip them onto the Internet Archive, as well as old encodes of digisubs. I started doing that partly for nostalgia, and also partly because I got an email a few years ago from someone asking about a VHS rip I had done of Sailor Moon that got put onto the Internet but a chunk was missing. And I thought “Oh I have that on a hard drive somewhere.” Turns out, I didn’t LOL

BUT I’ve been super successful rediscovering old fansubs using anidb.net because it keeps a database of users who have ever had each fansub from each group. And I message these users in the off chance they still had their files. I’ve had luck finding old Ranma 1/2 and InuYasha episodes this way because I know specific groups I wanted. In a lot of ways, it was similar to the old days because people would pick and choose which encodes they wanted to keep on their hard drives.

Also some old fansubs are available on XDCC still and on BakaBT.

I’m still on the hunt for VHS tapes though even if I already own the show on Blu-Ray so I can continue my project. But I think a lot of people are surprised to see some people out there are not only still trading tapes, but also trading digital encodes of very old files! It’s really crazy to me when I watch an old AnimeForever and FangirlFriday fansub of InuYasha that they released it 20 years ago! But what’s even more crazy is that I’ve had luck finding people who still had those files on working CDs and willing to upload them for me!

Even after all this, just now as I typed this, I think I still live with the concept of “it’ll always be there” in my head. Because just now I thought about uploading InuYasha fansubs from obscure groups onto the Internet Archive, but I thought “I don’t need to upload Anime-Kraze’s fansubs because that will always be there since it’s the most popular.” But who knows, maybe one day those will disappear too.
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Post by Fireminer »

chibiboi wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:29 am I was quite young during the 90s and 2000s so the concept of time didn’t apply to me. My first introduction to fansubs was actually Real Media encodes of Sailor Moon, and while I knew links could die, it never occurred to me that files could disappear forever. I definitely regret deleting stuff, like stuff that I’ve personally fansubbed and put onto the Internet, especially since I was from a smaller group.

Right now I’m collecting both VHS fansubs so I can rip them onto the Internet Archive, as well as old encodes of digisubs. I started doing that partly for nostalgia, and also partly because I got an email a few years ago from someone asking about a VHS rip I had done of Sailor Moon that got put onto the Internet but a chunk was missing. And I thought “Oh I have that on a hard drive somewhere.” Turns out, I didn’t LOL

BUT I’ve been super successful rediscovering old fansubs using anidb.net because it keeps a database of users who have ever had each fansub from each group. And I message these users in the off chance they still had their files. I’ve had luck finding old Ranma 1/2 and InuYasha episodes this way because I know specific groups I wanted. In a lot of ways, it was similar to the old days because people would pick and choose which encodes they wanted to keep on their hard drives.

Also some old fansubs are available on XDCC still and on BakaBT.

I’m still on the hunt for VHS tapes though even if I already own the show on Blu-Ray so I can continue my project. But I think a lot of people are surprised to see some people out there are not only still trading tapes, but also trading digital encodes of very old files! It’s really crazy to me when I watch an old AnimeForever and FangirlFriday fansub of InuYasha that they released it 20 years ago! But what’s even more crazy is that I’ve had luck finding people who still had those files on working CDs and willing to upload them for me!

Even after all this, just now as I typed this, I think I still live with the concept of “it’ll always be there” in my head. Because just now I thought about uploading InuYasha fansubs from obscure groups onto the Internet Archive, but I thought “I don’t need to upload Anime-Kraze’s fansubs because that will always be there since it’s the most popular.” But who knows, maybe one day those will disappear too.
Thank you so much for your work. There is just so much of the old fan sub disappearing right now, given how many people and websites just stopped seeding torrents. Wish the best on your endeavor!