Let's Anime: the anime films of 1983

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Let's Anime: the anime films of 1983

Post by davemerrill »

Slip back in time forty years, grab some popcorn, and take a look at what Japanese animation was throwing at the big screen in 1983!

https://letsanime.blogspot.com/2023/03/ ... 83-in.html

1983 banner.jpg
1983 banner.jpg (92.97 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: Let's Anime: the anime films of 1983

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Great write up as usual - looking just at the films released during the year is a good way to get variety of content but also keep things at a very manageable length. 1983 feels like a jam packed year - all the films, lots going on on TV and the start of the OAV format.

FINAL Yamato is quite the endeavor - my first real experience with the Yamato franchise and took me a couple sittings to get through. But epic isn't just its runtime(s), it is also a beautifully animated piece and definitely part of that early wave of where 1980s anime gets it's reputation for high quality.

Noel's Fantastic Trip looks like a lot of fun. It's not an anime I'm familiar with at all. I went back and read your earlier article on it. It'd be nice if I stumbled across it dubbed as I would definitely try to put it on for my little ones (sounds very much up their alley).
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
Elytron Frass
Anime Fan Since: 1997

Re: Let's Anime: the anime films of 1983

Post by Elytron Frass »

Golgo 13 was the real medium-pusher of that year (for my tastes) but it's 83' is seldom discussed as opposed to 87' and other banger years for anime. This makes me want to revisit the entirety of Crusher Joe and certain scenes from Harmageddon.