HELLO~

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Castien
Anime Fan Since: 1996

HELLO~

Post by Castien »

Lovely to meet you all, my name is Eileen. I am a collector and a bit of an archivist.
I am super excited to see all your wonderful anime swag! I'm already envious of many of your collections.

I grew up on anime in the 90's, but I didn't really know what anime was until middle school. I wasn't able to afford to buy anime in those days. We traded fansub and TV recorded VHS tapes in the back halls of my school like criminals. The first anime I fell in love with was Tenchi Muyo on Toonami and it's remained one of my top favorites. I didn't have an interest in collecting until 2000, when I found a pile of Tenchi DVDs at a dollar store. One case had a collectible coin inside and inspired with the desire to collect all four, which started me on my lifelong quest. Now, 20+ years later, I'm still at it. My favorites still lean towards classic titles, including Captain Harlock and Maison Ikkoku. I hope one day someone is able to publish all the old, overlooked anime of the 70's and 80's.

My Collection is primarily:
1. First Print US licensed DVDs and Blu-rays
2. Limited Editions
3. Promos, Mail Order Offers and Pre-order Bonuses
4. Licensed Publications and Catalogs
5. Official Press Kits

I'm really focus on official American anime media. Not because I don't appreciate the original Japanese or the fan made materials, but because I can't collect everything and there are others more dedicated, I keep my focus on the ones I like best.
I really love press kits and I own over 40 of them. It's very difficult to find them, so hunting them down is especially rewarding.
If I could be reincarnated as myself 25 years ago, I would have made an effort to archive more.

Here's a picture of one of my favorite Press Kits!
Attachments
20200822_155146.jpg
20200822_155146.jpg (3.85 MiB) Viewed 1332 times
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg (163.81 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
s-l1600 (30).jpg
s-l1600 (30).jpg (267.84 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: HELLO~

Post by DKop »

Welcome to the forums. Yea its wild to think that Tenchi Muyo was on Toonami nearly 25 years ago, I was in middle school at the time it came out. I remember getting Evangelion tapes from friends in high school who lent me their stuff to watch what they had which is how I first saw the show. Glad to meet another fan on here.
Captain_EO
Anime Fan Since: 2002

Post by Captain_EO »

Hi Eileen, welcome to the boards! That's an awesome collection. I also find press kits, mail orders and catalogs to be interesting, so you're in good company here. Press kits in particular give a unique look into what executives were thinking at the time... That Pokemon kit must've been made when US Poke-mania was in full-swing.
Oh and of course, that Ryo-Ohki plush looks precious in her shrink wrap. :lol:
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Welcome :D
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Welcome to the forum, Eileen! I'm interested to learn more about your press kits, looking forward to you starting some threads around here!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
KAMUISOFT
Anime Fan Since: joining white base

Post by KAMUISOFT »

Oh my goodness! (^人^) That's a nice collection! Last exile is one of my favorites, so I wonder what's in the press kit? That's an interesting the collect, so now I'm curious about it. It's a pleasure to meet you~ (o゜▽゜)o☆
🌠YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR DESTINY 時の向こう/YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR FUTURE 闇の向こう🌠