Yotoden Versions

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Yotoden Versions

Post by Daniel »

From Wikipedia:
The compilation movie version of Yōtōden was cut together by MTV Japan and released cinematically, premiering at Ikebukuro Theater on May 27, 1989,[5] with VHS and videodisc home releases coming out the following month in August.[6] This version is 45 minutes shorter than the OVA series. A special laserdisc version was also released in Japan only in 1990, containing four new scenes.
Does anyone know if the scenes on the '90 Japanese LD are on any other releases?
Brain Trash
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Re: Yotoden Versions

Post by Brain Trash »

Assuming that those scenes are indeed unique to that one Japanese LD release, then they're not on any U.S. releases at least. CPM was the only North American distributor for Yotoden, and there are only two DVD releases from them (technically three, but the second is just a double dip of the first): the first having just the recut film version, and the second having both the recut film as well as the original uncut OAVs. There aren't any such scenes present on the extras of either DVD release, and I certainly don't remember anything like that on any of the VHS releases (be they somehow snuck back into the film or shown after the end on the tape as extras, as some VHS releases from back in the day were occasionally want to do), though I can't say for certain if the U.S. LD release had them or not. I find that very doubtful, but stranger things have indeed happened.

Once again assuming that those are in fact totally exclusive scenes to that one Japanese Laserdisc, it'd be monumentally spectacular if somebody could get their hands on it and throw them up on the web somewhere.

Neither Yahoo Auctions Japan nor Amazon.jp are turning up much of anything for me at the moment, which is fairly discouraging. The former seems to only have a piece of original production art up for sale (which is cool, but not what we're after here), and the latter just gives me the original VHS releases as well as the soundtrack CDs.

I'm at least reasonably sure that this would be the cover art for it in any case;

Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Re: Yotoden Versions

Post by Daniel »

I did a bit more research, and it looks like there were multiple LD releases for Yotoden in Japan.

I believe that the image you showed is from an LD release with all the OVAs, not the movie.

http://www3.plala.or.jp/tenpulako/zaregoto_2007_01.html

(The obi has the 3 episodes listed, and the writer refers to the LD as a three episode set.)