Super Sentai/Kamen Rider Exhibit

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
Net-Lex
Anime Fan Since: 1984 (if Voltron counts)

Super Sentai/Kamen Rider Exhibit

Post by Net-Lex »

This is at Toei Kyoto Studio Park:

http://youtu.be/enxcD1rc2yI
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: Super Sentai/Kamen Rider Exhibit

Post by _D_ »

Under appreciated stuff over here. Brings back a few memories, especially the Sentai stuff. Thanks...
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I just finished watching the video! Great stuff, Alex!!!! What were the names of the two Daft Punk-looking guys that were the inspiration for Robocop again? I forget what you told me they were called.

I have a student, a 5th grade girl, who can recite the names of all of the Kamen Riders' names in order. That is so awesome. I'd say that's marriage potential right there.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Net-Lex

Post by Net-Lex »

greg wrote:I just finished watching the video! Great stuff, Alex!!!! What were the names of the two Daft Punk-looking guys that were the inspiration for Robocop again? I forget what you told me they were called.

I have a student, a 5th grade girl, who can recite the names of all of the Kamen Riders' names in order. That is so awesome. I'd say that's marriage potential right there.
That'd be Space Sheriff's Gavan, Sharivan, and Shaider.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Hero_Series
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

Gavan had a recent revival in a movie with the GoKaigers. (pirate themed sentai team) GoKaiger was an interesting show, the team had the capability to use the power of previous sentai teams, so they had guest stars from a TON of the previous shows throughout the run.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Actually, I believe the inspiration for Robocop was Judge Dredd. That's exactly what I thought when I first saw the movie all those years ago. Having the helmet cover most of his face so he is unrecognizable was the giveaway...

The Space Sheriffs series may be where they got the body style from. Dunno. Never saw an interview with the original creators who said it was. Could be though...
whitesnake
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by whitesnake »

Thank you, Net-Lex, for that link. I used to watch a lot of those old live action shows. Searching for Toei Kyoto Studio Park under Youtube led to a walking tour of that exhibit, as well as live action showdown fights for samurai, ninja, as well as shows for Kamen Rider Wizard and Super Sentai Go Busters. I've added a whole new favorites folder just for Toei Kyoto Studio Park Youtube videos. Makes me want to plan a vacation in Kyoto just for the Park.

Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger vs. Space Sheriff Gavan: The Movie was on the video program at FanimeCon 2012. It was the only thing worth staying overnight for at the con, since it played Saturday morning, and I got up to see it (instead of being on the road driving to San Jose for a one-day attendance, which I'd normally be doing on a FanimeCon Saturday). Found this movie promo for it with movie scenes with the Gavan opening theme song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z68TrxcpKVU. Now if I could just find the movie on dvd. Maybe look for that dealer who had a copy of the Kamen Rider 000 Meets Abarenbo Shogun movie at the J-town mini-convention last summer.

Oba Kenji (the Gavan actor) looks like he's doing well (playing 3 roles in the Gokaiger-Gavan movie). The actor who played Space Sheriff Shaider died in 2001. He was Eiji Tsuburaya's grandson.
Net-Lex

Post by Net-Lex »

_D_ wrote:Actually, I believe the inspiration for Robocop was Judge Dredd. That's exactly what I thought when I first saw the movie all those years ago. Having the helmet cover most of his face so he is unrecognizable was the giveaway...

The Space Sheriffs series may be where they got the body style from. Dunno. Never saw an interview with the original creators who said it was. Could be though...
I gleaned this info off of Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robocop#RoboCop_design

But, yes, the connection between the two properties extends as far as design.
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

whitesnake wrote:Now if I could just find the movie on dvd. Maybe look for that dealer who had a copy of the Kamen Rider 000 Meets Abarenbo Shogun movie at the J-town mini-convention last summer.
Myself not much into the digital downloading world (I am far more interested in preserving old stuff on tape), though I was able to find this movie with a quick search. Things are too easy these days... Feel free to message me if you want it. (Since I recall you writing about this dealer being a bootlegger, I assume that copies are OK.)