The Time Capsule

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: The Time Capsule

Post by usamimi »

Isn't that cool? I'm surprised anyone out there other than us cares about that kinda stuff, haha. I follow him on Twitter to keep up on his updates.

I used to have a subscription to Animerica Extra back when they first started, but I had to cancel it once it went up in price. I liked it at the time, but yeah...most of those, you're better off just getting the graphic novels now.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

I have this bad habit of buying up stacks of old Animericas wherever I find them. I usually see them for like a buck a piece, and most stores are glad to get rid of them.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

danth wrote:I have this bad habit of buying up stacks of old Animericas wherever I find them. I usually see them for like a buck a piece, and most stores are glad to get rid of them.
I had to get rid of all of mine...I kind of want to get some of the older ones again. I have several friends who've had photos/art/etc published in them! XD
danth

Post by danth »

When I was reading one of the Animericas from a stack I bought, I was surprised to read a letter from some person asking about the same obscure show I liked back then (Dragon Warrior). I was totally shocked when I read to the end and saw my name. Had no idea one of my letters got printed in Animerica until like 15 years after I wrote it. Probably because it was hard to find every issue in my home town.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

danth wrote:When I was reading one of the Animericas from a stack I bought, I was surprised to read a letter from some person asking about the same obscure show I liked back then (Dragon Warrior). I was totally shocked when I read to the end and saw my name. Had no idea one of my letters got printed in Animerica until like 15 years after I wrote it. Probably because it was hard to find every issue in my home town.
Which issue? I wonder if I have it! O: Also, I've only seen one episode of Dragon Warrior, but always wanted to see more!

I've been in Animerica before, I won one of their swimsuit issue fanart specials. Though Viz never sent me my prize, which always made me sad because it was a Ranma related prize. :(
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
danth

Post by danth »

Whoa, no way! Do you still have the art? I have no idea which issue my letter was in, someday when I have the time I'll go through them and find it. Do you know which issue had your winning picture?

That totally sucks about Viz not coming through with the prize. To be honest I think most contests with prizes end up that way.

And Dragon Warrior was friggin' fantastic. Imagine Dragon Ball Z with a fantasy setting, less characters, and without all the drawn out fights in the desert. The US version had an amazing theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcJrLXpRwQU
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

usamimi wrote:Isn't that cool? I'm surprised anyone out there other than us cares
about that kinda stuff, haha. I follow him on Twitter to keep up on his updates.
Sounds like he needs to be invited to our place here!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

greg wrote:
usamimi wrote:Isn't that cool? I'm surprised anyone out there other than us cares
about that kinda stuff, haha. I follow him on Twitter to keep up on his updates.
Sounds like he needs to be invited to our place here!
oh, I didn't even think of that! I'll have to see if I can send him the link to here, heh. ;D
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

danth wrote:Whoa, no way! Do you still have the art? I have no idea which issue my letter was in, someday when I have the time I'll go through them and find it. Do you know which issue had your winning picture?

That totally sucks about Viz not coming through with the prize. To be honest I think most contests with prizes end up that way.
I am in Vol.7, Issue 5, with Gatchaman on the cover. :) I'll post some pics shortly.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

In the past 2.5 years I still have to figure out where to put the boxes of mags from Japan by bud sent me every month. The postage alone must have killed him...and he sent the mags for almost 20 years! I have runs of New Type, My Anime, Animage, Animedia, etc. those alone would fill several book cases and these things are HEAVY!