Old Japanese Commercials are Awesome

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Old Japanese Commercials are Awesome

Post by Daniel »

I love old Japanese commercials. Let's have this thread be a place to talk about and/or post links to such awesome commercials.

To start, here are some that I pulled from fansub tapes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB4pXZf3 ... w&index=16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Mpztd- ... w&index=15

As a side note, you can see how fantastically terrible I am at marketing by viewing my ad that comes at the beginning of the videos. I may have gotten slightly better at this since I made those videos, but probably not by much. If anyone here might be willing to help me market this forum so we can get the word out, or if anyone here knows someone who might be able to help, please let me know! As my thanks, I may be able to give some goodies out of my stash of stuff to those who help.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Old Japanese Commercials are Awesome

Post by usamimi »

oh man! I remember some of those commercials, esp. the Glico ones--ahhh and the pool eye drops ones! I always liked they made different ones for different seasons of anime, lol. XD

I'd never seen that Ghost Sweeper video game one before. So many legs! :oops: heehee.

The DBZ desks & desk accessory ones killed me! :lol: I know they made DBZ EVERYTHING, but wow. That is definitely something you wouldn't have expected getting it's own commercial!

Hmmm, well since Nitro has some video production experience, maybe he & I can put our heads together and see if we can come up with a "commercial" or something for the forums?
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

I love old Japanese commercials. AnimeSennin, there are a BUNCH of 80's commercials on the Little Witch Sally tape I'll be sending you, so I hope you decide to put them on Youtube as well because they were actually my favorite parts from the tape. My roommate loved the S&B commercial, he's been looking for it for a long time because he remembers watching it alongside DBZ in the 90's on Hawaiian television.

I'm certainly trying to promote the forum to friends and fans, and I do plan on doing so each time I post fanart of work from the 80's-90's too.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Yeah, the Ghost Sweeper Mikami SFC game is pretty cool. I haven't spent a ton of time on it, but it is very fun. Apparently others have discovered this too, so its price has gone up a bit. It's similar to the Valis game series.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Watching a Little Witch Sally tape sent to me special in 1989. Never watched it before. Now showing a bunch of old toys from that series as well as a behind the scenes at Toei animation. Looks interesting. Maybe I should cap it? Looks like a fan produced tape shot directly to video...

Might be from a prerecord though. What does the title say?
whitesnake
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by whitesnake »

This topic reminded me of an old Japanese commercial in which an old woman was carrying Arnold Schwarzenegger on her back. It's probably on Youtube under "Arnold Schwarzenegger Complete Japanese Commercial Filmography".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcfI0gf9oDc
Last edited by whitesnake on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Check out this Mospeada commercial from Japan, complete with stop motion animation!

I wish I could find the commercial to the Robotech Minmei doll commercial. "Isn't she NEAT?" That became an inside joke between my friend and I. Now I say it to my daughter.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

I remember these:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i1fkZFr6Df4

I had to get a big one for a friend in Southern Ontario. He went on to produce his own though which you have seen in stores by the name of Robosapien....
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

usamimi wrote:Hmmm, well since Nitro has some video production experience, maybe he & I can put our heads together and see if we can come up with a "commercial" or something for the forums?
Thanks for the offer. :)

We made a nice flyer for the site and forum earlier, which you can see here: http://forum.animepast.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=241

I wonder if we could just use that on YouTube, so we can skip the effort of making a whole commercial...? Not sure if it would work out or not, so I'll have to check, but I don't want to have you work on something that's not completely necessary -- I have *plenty* of things for people to do who want to help. :) I'll have to check on this; thanks again for the offer.

What I'm particularly interested in at the moment is advertising beyond YouTube...

ryoran wrote:I love old Japanese commercials. AnimeSennin, there are a BUNCH of 80's commercials on the Little Witch Sally tape I'll be sending you, so I hope you decide to put them on Youtube as well because they were actually my favorite parts from the tape. My roommate loved the S&B commercial, he's been looking for it for a long time because he remembers watching it alongside DBZ in the 90's on Hawaiian television.

I'm certainly trying to promote the forum to friends and fans, and I do plan on doing so each time I post fanart of work from the 80's-90's too.

Thank you; I appreciate your efforts very much...!

_D_ wrote:Watching a Little Witch Sally tape sent to me special in 1989. Never watched it before. Now showing a bunch of old toys from that series as well as a behind the scenes at Toei animation. Looks interesting. Maybe I should cap it? Looks like a fan produced tape shot directly to video...

Might be from a prerecord though. What does the title say?
Top right: "Documentary, 60 min (Not for sale)". I've seen the "Not for sale" bit listed on promo videos before; not sure about fan stuff.

Top part with big lettering: Not 100% sure. It could mean "Up till the TV anime comes out", or perhaps it is referring to the process of making episodes of the anime -- the other forum members who speak Japanese better than I should chime in here.

Middle: "Follow/Chase after Mahou Tsukai Sally!"

Bottom Left: "1989, Created by Toei Douga"

Bottom Right: Credits for planning/directing to one 小田克也 (Oda Katsuya? I'm not very good at deciphering names that are in Kanji)

Will get replies to the posts further down sometime soon, after I check out the links...!