Karaoke

Discuss anything and everything relating to that fascinating island empire of the east
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Karaoke

Post by greg »

So tonight was my first time ever singing karaoke. I'd experienced it one time only in America, but I left it to my friend who sang "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by Clearance Clearwater Revival. I went to an enkai with some teachers at a very small school I teach at, and they asked me to sing a song in English. I figured "Pff, there's no chance there would ever be a song in this catalog that I know by heart." I was wrong. So, I had no problem finding "Bizarre Love Triangle" by New Order, which is probably the most famous indie label band ever. I was surprised to see so many Stone Roses songs available. The only voice I can get close to is Morrissey, but the only Smiths song was "How Soon Is Now," which is mostly a bunch of long pauses between lyrics, and I didn't want to bore everyone. The one song I did sing had plenty of pauses as it was. Then one teacher who can speak a bit of English chose "One Thing" by some silly boy band named One Direction, and it turns out I had to listen to and sing that song so many times back in January at one school of mine, so I went ahead and joined him in that.

I'm pretty inhibited about singing in front of others, but the place was all-you-can-drink, and with a few Jack & Cokes on top of the other stuff, I was able to bellow it out, as long as I didn't make any sudden head movements. Watching the movie Lost in Translation, that cool karaoke scene with Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson I thought that it was pure fiction that there would be such music in karaoke machines in Japan. But to my surprise, there really is a diverse range of tunes in that machine. They even had "Feed My Kiss" by My Bloody Valentine and "Young Folks" by Peter, Bjorn, & John. Maybe next time I'll seek out "Lips Like Sugar" by Echo & The Bunnymen and give it a go.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Re: Karaoke

Post by kndy »

greg wrote:So tonight was my first time ever singing karaoke. I'd experienced it one time only in America, but I left it to my friend who sang "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by Clearance Clearwater Revival. I went to an enkai with some teachers at a very small school I teach at, and they asked me to sing a song in English. I figured "Pff, there's no chance there would ever be a song in this catalog that I know by heart." I was wrong. So, I had no problem finding "Bizarre Love Triangle" by New Order, which is probably the most famous indie label band ever. I was surprised to see so many Stone Roses songs available. The only voice I can get close to is Morrissey, but the only Smiths song was "How Soon Is Now," which is mostly a bunch of long pauses between lyrics, and I didn't want to bore everyone. The one song I did sing had plenty of pauses as it was. Then one teacher who can speak a bit of English chose "One Thing" by some silly boy band named One Direction, and it turns out I had to listen to and sing that song so many times back in January at one school of mine, so I went ahead and joined him in that.

I'm pretty inhibited about singing in front of others, but the place was all-you-can-drink, and with a few Jack & Cokes on top of the other stuff, I was able to bellow it out, as long as I didn't make any sudden head movements. Watching the movie Lost in Translation, that cool karaoke scene with Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson I thought that it was pure fiction that there would be such music in karaoke machines in Japan. But to my surprise, there really is a diverse range of tunes in that machine. They even had "Feed My Kiss" by My Bloody Valentine and "Young Folks" by Peter, Bjorn, & John. Maybe next time I'll seek out "Lips Like Sugar" by Echo & The Bunnymen and give it a go.
I have yet to sing an American song at karaoke in Japan. Lol...Because everyone I'm with are all Japanese, so I'm singing Japanese. But karaoke is a lot of fun and great ice breaker!