Akira Toriyama's real views on "Dragonball: Evolution"

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Akira Toriyama's real views on "Dragonball: Evolution"

Post by usamimi »

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2013/05/20/ak ... evolution/

Can't say I'm terribly surprised, but apparently it's pretty uncommon for a creator to blatantly criticize adaptations of their own work. (Though I remember Naoko Takeuchi famously didn't like how a lot of Sailor Moon was handled in the US, manga AND anime.) Like I said, though, not very surprising, considering how few people actually liked the movie to begin with. :?
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: Akira Toriyama's real views on "Dragonball: Evolution"

Post by _D_ »

I never went to DB Evolution since it wasn't going to follow the original source material. Because of that and being so disappointed with other live action versions of things like street Fighter and Chun-Li, I decided enough was enough! The problem is getting a real fan of the source material to actually produce what was in the original game, manga, book, etc. this is why I'm pumped to see Pacific Rim, because Del Toro IS such a fan of the different genres that he could actually pull things off even though his is an original production. That saying, I have my doubts that the Japanese Gatchaman film will be any good unless they deal with issues from the original material even though (like The X-Men) it will have to be updated. I just wish things like this would have been in the slate for an International production that would be pushed by proponents from Japan. Many of their own productions just don't cut it (unfortunately). That saying, I'll still try to check out Gatchaman when it becomes available. It can't be worse than the live action Sailor Moon done some years ago...
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Well, I actually didn't mind the live action Sailor Moon show they did in Japan because it was basically a magical-girl sentai show...and sentai shows are fairly campy, so if you look at it as something like that rather than a faithful adaption, it's not bad, really.

Live-action American remakes, on the other hand, almost always turn out bad. I'm looking forward to Pacific Rim as well...and I'm hoping if del Toro's version of "Monster" gets made that it's as faithful to the source material as he seems to want to make it. It would be awesome to get a live-action adaption of something that didn't seem utterly ridiculous for a change! :lol:
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

I actually watched it. I'm the kind of person that has to see it regardless of the amount of hate. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't Dragon Ball. And the choices made on it to make him a high school student, GROSS. But I keep an open mind with everything, so I'd give it a 2.5 out of 5 star rating. XD; The fights were not very good.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, I heard people say "If only it hadn't been a Dragonball movie...then it might've been good." :lol: One of these days maybe I'll actually watch it just to see how it is. A-kon had a "roast" of the movie for the last couple of years, but I've never been able to make it because it conflicted with other things I wanted to do.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

usamimi wrote:Yeah, I heard people say "If only it hadn't been a Dragonball movie...then it might've been good." :lol: One of these days maybe I'll actually watch it just to see how it is. A-kon had a "roast" of the movie for the last couple of years, but I've never been able to make it because it conflicted with other things I wanted to do.
Yeah I think I'd have enjoyed it more if it wasn't called Dragon Ball for sure. I liked the actors, just not everything else.

There are worse movies too, I think Avatar is worse as far as bad adaptations of animated series. The special effects were great, too bad nearly everyone were bad actors. Except I didn't mind Sokka so much.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

oh man, yeah, I didn't even see it because my friends that saw the midnight showing were not too happy the next day. ^^; I also thought it was weird they cast white kids when most of the kids in the series weren't white...but that's Hollywood for you, I guess. :roll: