Demoscene - The Art of the Algorithms (2012)

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Demoscene - The Art of the Algorithms (2012)

Post by greg »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRkZcTg1JWU
While not anime-related, this subforum is for nostalgia for the old days, so I'll stick this here. This documentary is about the Demo scene that sprang up in the '80s. Be sure to turn on captions, since this has a lot of interviews in European languages.

I used to spend lots of time downloading demos and mods back in the day via Gopher and FTP...
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: Demoscene - The Art of the Algorithms (2012)

Post by _D_ »

Was wondering what you meant...these "demos" were created at first by many of the pirate groups when they ripped games on systems like the Amiga and Atari ST. I still have all my old software and computers from that period. They were fun to watch as they used great programming skills that seemed to be lacking even in the game producers themselves. They were also able to do things considered impossible like squeezing several games onto a single disk and having them all work! At a time where the average game fit a single 512K disc, this was quite the feat! Thanks for showing us this...