The Manga Recommendations Thread

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

The Manga Recommendations Thread

Post by Daniel »

Recommend manga for others to read

-or-

Ask for any good recommendations on things to read

:)
robodaz
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Re: The Manga Recommendations Thread

Post by robodaz »

This time I am looking for recommendations for manga... If anyone has any more recent history themed offerings, I'd be very interested.
"I like this wolf. He's not freezing his ass of in Alaska chasing snow bunnies. He just goes to pig's houses and blows on them" - Christopher Walken.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

If you can manage it, I would recommend almost anything that Vertical, Inc has been putting out. Not just because they have an amazing catalog of both old and new works, but I just reblogged a post they did earlier stating that, if their business doesn't pick up, they might have to fold the company.

This makes me sad because they are a seriously high-quality company and everything I've bought from them, I've loved.

Some titles you guys might enjoy (in addition to the ones I already posted about on Tumblr):

Gundam The Origin
Great Teacher Onizuka: 14 Days in Shonan
Great Teacher Onizuka: The Early Years
Message to Adolf
BlackJack
Princess Knight
Apollo's Song
Sakuran
Andromeda Stories
To Terra
Guin Saga
Limit
Utsubora
The Flowers of Evil
Knights of Sidonia
Peepo Choo
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

I haven't been reading too much manga lately, but I have been enjoying Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, the latest creation from the mind of Akira Toriyama. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys Toriyama's work!

You can get it pretty easily in print or digital format from Viz. There aren't any collected volumes yet, so you'll need to check it out in Weekly Shonen Jump.

Weekly Shonen Jump
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

Second that Vertical suggestion. Kodansha have some interesting stuff coming out too.

Bakuman - 20vols long, especially good if you enjoy the occasional doodle :)

Blood Lad - a throwback to old Shonen Jump sagas, current and fun.

Definitely get a digital Shonen Jump subscription if you have some sort of iTablet, worth every penny.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

So Vertical re-released GTO? I didn't know that.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

My recommendations are Lum and Ghost in the Shell. Believe it or not I spent an hour or two just remembering all the comics that I spent any time reading and the Lum and Ghost in the Shell stand out the best. I could not sell the trades I had of these titles because i handled the books so much they were all damaged. The artwork in Ghost in the Shell keeps you wanting to reexamine the images because of the detail of the female character and intricate machinery Lum on the other hand is full of cute characters and crazy plot twists. The comedy of Lum kept me wanting to reread the trades.
***^__^***
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

greg wrote:So Vertical re-released GTO? I didn't know that.
They released the GTO's "prequels", not GTO itself. Still good stuff though!
yusaku wrote:My recommendations are Lum and Ghost in the Shell. Believe it or not I spent an hour or two just remembering all the comics that I spent any time reading and the Lum and Ghost in the Shell stand out the best. I could not sell the trades I had of these titles because i handled the books so much they were all damaged. The artwork in Ghost in the Shell keeps you wanting to reexamine the images because of the detail of the female character and intricate machinery Lum on the other hand is full of cute characters and crazy plot twists. The comedy of Lum kept me wanting to reread the trades.
I love the Urusei Yatsura manga, but it makes me sad that Viz never released all of it. :( I know you can find scanlations online of the stuff they didn't finish, but it's never the same...
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

I wish I had thought to buy and hold duplicates of the Lum and Ghost in the Shell manga. It would be nice to have them now; I am having trouble replacing the trades of those title now.
***^__^***
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

yusaku wrote:I wish I had thought to buy and hold duplicates of the Lum and Ghost in the Shell manga. It would be nice to have them now; I am having trouble replacing the trades of those title now.
You can actually find copies of Viz's release of Lum * Urusei Yatsura for fairly cheap/reasonable on Amazon (the first book you have to do some digging on--some people have it ridiculously priced, while there's another listing were it's less than $5). Same with Dark Horse's Ghost in the Shell manga, I'm pretty sure the collected books aren't that much. :D